Bears Win Weekend, Pounce on Penguins 3-2 on Sunday
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears concluded four games in five nights with a 3-2 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Sunday night at GIANT Center. Hershey extends their home ice winning streak to five straight, and improves their overall record to 18-10-2-1.
After a scoreless opening period, the Chocolate and White struck twice in the middle frame. Dylan McIlrath scored through traffic on a shot from the left point at 7:06 for his third goal of the campaign. With only one second left in the period, Mike Vecchione doubled his team's advantage. Shane Gersich centered a pass to the low-slot where Vecchione buried his fifth goal of the season before time expired. Shots after 40 minutes were even at 19-19.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton pushed back in the third period and snapped Pheonix Copley's bid for a shutout. Only 30 seconds into the stanza, Mitch Reinke converted a second chance opportunity from the doorstep to cut his team's deficit to 2-1. Hershey responded with a power play goal from Garrett Pilon at 8:40 which later stood as the game-winner.
Radim Zohorna brought the Penguins within 3-2 with 2:27 remaining after converting a 6-on-4 power play chance. Copley finished the night stopping 26 of 28 Penguin shots to help Hershey claim the one-goal victory.
Final shots totaled 28-25 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. The Bears finished 1-for-3 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 12 against the Bridgeport Islanders. Puck drop at GIANT Center is scheduled for 7 P.M. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2022
- Depleted Abby Side Shutout by Condors - Abbotsford Canucks
- Roadrunners Drop Sunday Afternoon Rematch With Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Reach OT Again in Loss to Stockton - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 5-3 Victory over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Reign Supreme Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Bears Survive Penguins' Relentless Attack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Bears Win Weekend, Pounce on Penguins 3-2 on Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters in Historic Fashion - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Come up Short in 4-3 Loss to Wolves - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Edge Islanders in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Daccord Stymies Islanders in Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Taco Tuesday & Winning Weekday Are Back at the BMO this Tuesday - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri's Fifth Career AHL Hat Trick Keeps IceHogs Offense Red Hot in 6-2 Win at Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Reassigns Jones, Rau and Rossi to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Panthers Assign Chase Priskie and Matt Kiersted to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Morning Skate: Heat Battle Reign Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Game #25: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Chmelevski Notches Hat-Trick in Roy Sommer's 800th Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Hold onto Point in OT Setback - San Diego Gulls
- Sommer Reaches 800 Wins in the AHL - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Rally over San Diego in OT - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Force Overtime Against Colorado Eagles, Fall 3-2 In Shootout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Defeated by San Jose, 6-3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Late Score Lifts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Colorado Storms Back for 3-2 Shootout Win in Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Manitoba Buzzer Beater Spoils Anthony Louis Hat Trick - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.