Heat Reign Supreme Sunday in Ontario
ONTARIO, Calif. - After trailing by two goals entering the third period, the Stockton Heat (21-5-2-1) rallied with three goals in the final 10 minutes of game action to earn a 5-4, overtime win over second-place Ontario (16-6-3-1) Sunday at Toyota Arena.
With the win, the Heat improved to 8-0-0-0 on the year following losses this season.
Stockton, which jumped out to 1-0 and 2-1 leads with goals from Eetu Tuulola and Matthew Phillips in the opening frame, fell behind by two through two periods of play, a gap that lasted past the halfway point of the third.
Walker Duehr started the comeback, finishing a feed in front from Jakob Pelletier to trim the deficit in half, then Martin Pospisil evened the game at four apiece with just over four minutes remaining, firing a net-front feed from Matthew Phillips past Lukas Parik to push the game beyond regulation.
Overtime did not last long, with defenseman Connor Mackey banging home a loose puck just 24 seconds into the extra time to seal the win for Stockton.
Eetu Tuulola has a three-game goal streak for the first time in his professional career and has five goals in Stockton's last eight games.
Stockton has scored the first goal in seven of eight games that follow losses this season.
Matthew Phillips' goal was his 11th of the season, bringing him to a tie with Jakob Pelletier for the team lead.
Byron Froese notched an assist on Phillips' score, giving him a point in his first game back with the Heat in 32 days.
Jakob Pelletier became the first Heat skater and sixth player in the AHL to reach 30 points on the year with an assist on Walker Duehr's third period goal. His assist on the game-winner has him tied for second in the league in scoring with 31 points on the year, trailing only Chicago's Andrew Poturalski (40).
Connor Mackey notched his first game-winning goal of his pro career.
The Heat are now 8-0-0-0 on the year following losses and are 3-2-0-0 on the seven-game road trip.
Stockton has won six of nine games that have gone past regulation this season.
STK PP - 1-for-2
STK PK - 1-for-2
First - Connor Mackey (1g,1a)
Second - Tyler Madden (1g,1a)
Third - Quinton Byfield (1g,1a)
W - Dustin Wolf (23 saves on 27 shots faced)
OTL - Lukas Parik (41 saves on 46 shots faced)
The Heat head to Henderson for their first ever road game against the Silver Knights, Wednesday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2022
- Depleted Abby Side Shutout by Condors - Abbotsford Canucks
- Roadrunners Drop Sunday Afternoon Rematch With Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Reach OT Again in Loss to Stockton - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 5-3 Victory over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Reign Supreme Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Bears Survive Penguins' Relentless Attack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Bears Win Weekend, Pounce on Penguins 3-2 on Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters in Historic Fashion - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Come up Short in 4-3 Loss to Wolves - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Edge Islanders in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Daccord Stymies Islanders in Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Taco Tuesday & Winning Weekday Are Back at the BMO this Tuesday - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri's Fifth Career AHL Hat Trick Keeps IceHogs Offense Red Hot in 6-2 Win at Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Reassigns Jones, Rau and Rossi to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Panthers Assign Chase Priskie and Matt Kiersted to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Morning Skate: Heat Battle Reign Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Game #25: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Chmelevski Notches Hat-Trick in Roy Sommer's 800th Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Hold onto Point in OT Setback - San Diego Gulls
- Sommer Reaches 800 Wins in the AHL - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Rally over San Diego in OT - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Force Overtime Against Colorado Eagles, Fall 3-2 In Shootout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Defeated by San Jose, 6-3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Late Score Lifts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Colorado Storms Back for 3-2 Shootout Win in Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Manitoba Buzzer Beater Spoils Anthony Louis Hat Trick - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.