Bates Tricks Thunder Past Americans
ALLEN, TX - Peter Bates scored a power play goal with four minutes to go in regulation and Wichita held off Allen down the stretch for a 4-3 win on Saturday night at Credit Union of Texas Event Center.
Bates recorded his second pro hat trick while Jay Dickman had two points. Georgi Romanov earned his second-straight win this week, stopping 31 shots.
In the first, Bates made it 1-0 at 6:06 with an assist to Lleyton Moore. He added his second of the frame at 11:38 on the power play. Moore fed a pass across the zone and he buried a one-timer to make it 2-0.
Dickman connected with his 11th of the year at 2:54 of the second to make it 3-0. Jake Wahlin threaded a pass across the front of the crease. The puck appeared to hit off Dickman near the right post and went in the net. The goal was reviewed and allowed to stand.
Allen roared back with the next three in the frame. William Provost cut the lead to 3-1 at 4:15 with his second of the year.
Eric Williams made it 3-2 at 16:08 when he came into the zone off the rush and beat Romanov for his first of the season.
Brandon Puricelli tied it on the power play at 19:08. He found a rebound near the front of the net and put home a backhand for his third of the year.
Wichita was awarded a late two-man advantage when Johnny Walker and Matthew Sredl were called for minor penalties. Bates put home a rebound at 15:57 for his third of the night to make it 4-3.
Allen called its timeout with two minutes to go and pulled Mark Sinclair for the extra attacker. Romanov stood firm and held off the comeback attempt from the Americans.
Wichita went 2-for-4 on the power play. Allen was 1-for-5 on the man advantage.
Bates extended his point-streak to five games (4g, 6a). Dickman extended his goal-streak to three games (4g) and his point-streak to a season-high seven contests (5g, 5a). Moore has four assists in his last three games. Michal Stinil has four points in his last two outings.
The Thunder returns home tomorrow afternoon at 4:05 p.m. to host Rapid City.
Single game tickets are now on sale. Buy tickets for any game this season and come watch the 32nd year of Thunder hockey. Click here to purchase today.
The 2023-24 schedule is now available. Start planning now as we get ready for our 32nd year as a professional franchise and 10th in the ECHL. Click here to learn more and click here to download the schedule right to your calendar.
Season tickets for the 2023-24 season are on sale now. Save money by reserving your seats for all the fast-paced, hard-hitting action of every game. Click here to learn more.
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder's Peter Bates battles Allen Americans' Hank Crone
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2023
- Norfolk Scores Four Goals in Third Period to Defeat Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Double-up Grizzlies, Extend Point Streak to Six Games in Victory - Tulsa Oilers
- Icemen Collect Over 14,000 Teddy Bears, But Fall 4-3 to Trios-Rivieres - Jacksonville Icemen
- Bates Tricks Thunder Past Americans - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Fall in Special Teams Battle to Growlers, 5-4 - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Edge Out Steelheads 5-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Maier Saves 38 as Royals Soar Past Wings in Series Finale, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Americans Fall to Wichita 4-3 on Star Wars Night - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Surge Past Swamp Rabbits in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ghost Pirates Take Down Gladiators - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Fuel Win OT Thriller Over Nailers - Indy Fuel
- A Feel-Good Victory for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Fish Fend off Heartlanders, Claim Eleventh Victory - Toledo Walleye
- Teddy Bear Toss Soured as Stingrays Snap Swamp Rabbits' Win Streak - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Physical Bout Ends in 5-2 Railers' Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- K-Wings Fire Away, Royals Sneak by in 3rd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Heartlanders Fire 45 Shots But Lethemon Steals Show in 5-3 Decision - Iowa Heartlanders
- Nailers Rally Back for First Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Earn Third Point of Weekend in Overtime Loss - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Shut Out Everblades In Overtime, 1-0 - Adirondack Thunder
- Lions' Road Woes Continue - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Goaltender Mitchell Gibson Re-Assigned to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Thunder Sign Forward Nico Blachman - Adirondack Thunder
- Wranglers Tab Gourley on Second Recall of Season - Rapid City Rush
- Game Day Preview: Star Wars Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Swamp Rabbits Game Preview: Teddy Bear Toss - Swamp Rabbits vs South Carolina Stingrays (7:05pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Battle Wings in Holiday Sweaters for Christmas in Margaritaville - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.