Barracuda Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss at Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, MI - The San Jose Barracuda (24-8-2-4) scored the games first two goals on Saturday at the Van Andel Arena but the Grand Rapids Griffins (25-14-3-4) (Detroit Red Wings) would even the score in the second and eventually win 3-2 in a shootout.
On Friday, the Barracuda dictated the first 20 minutes of play but the game remained scoreless through one period. On Saturday, San Jose again generated a majority of the first period's chances but were rewarded this time around. Alex True (12) began the scoring at 7:49 as he beat former Sharks prospect Harri Sateri over the right shoulder as he moved in on net down the left wing on an odd-man rush. True would help make it 2-0 at 19:36 of the first as he centered a pass to Rourke Chartier (4) from below the end-line and Chartier snapped it in from close range along the left side of the crease.
In the second, the Griffins settled into the game and cut San Jose's lead in half just a minute 18 seconds into the frame as Red Wings top prospect Filip Zadini (11) backhanded a give-and-go from Chris Terry past Antoine Bibeau as he raced to the net from the left wing. San Jose would go on the power play twice in the period but fail to push their lead back up to two and Carter Camper (11) would tie the game on a two-on-one with Colin Campbell at 18:57.
In the third, San Jose killed off three Griffin' man-advantages and were outshot 15-to-eight, but the game remained tied at 2-2. In overtime, San Jose killed off another Griffs' PP and were outshot two-to-one but the game would be decided in a shootout as both netminders kept it even.
In a shootout, Matt Puempel would score in the bottom of the second round and Sateri would stop all three San Jose shooters.
Bibeau (9-5-5) took the hard-luck loss after allowing two goals on 33 shots, while Sateri (15-7-2) earned his fourth-straight win by stopping 24 San Jose shots.
The Barracuda are back in action following the AHL All-Star break on Friday, February 1 at Stockton and return to SAP Center on Saturday, February 2 at 1:15 pm. for Kentucky Thoroughblades. If you can't make either game, listen live to all the action on AM 1220 KDOW, the Sharks + SAP Center app and watch on #AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2019
- Rychel, Heat Snap Rampage Home Winning Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Lead Central at Break After Rallying Past AHL's Top Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Win on the Road - San Diego Gulls
- Verhaeghe Nets Hat Trick, Game-Winner in 4-3 Crunch Win over Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars Home Streak Comes to An End against Gulls - Texas Stars
- Rychel Lifts Heat to Dramatic OT Win - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Head into Break with 4-3 Overtime Loss in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Carter Hart Makes 33 Saves in Return to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Barracuda Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss at Grand Rapids - San Jose Barracuda
- Wolf Pack Enter All-Star Break with a Loss - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bourque scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport heads into the all-star break with a win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Enter All-Star Break with 4-2 Win over Laval - Hershey Bears
- Letestu Scores Game-Winner in Overtime as Monsters Outlast Wolves, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Penguins Escape with 5-4 Overtime Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Defeat Devils in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Enter All Star Break with 3-2 Comeback Win - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Rally Earns Point - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Head into All-Star Break on High Note - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Rally Late to Top Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Make It Eight: Condors Sweep Tucson, 3-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Admirals Score Eight in Win over Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
- Milwaukee Thumps Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Recall Defenseman Kevin Davis from Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Face San Antonio in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Rocket at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Host Phantoms on Boy Scout Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Despite Bevy of Shots, Reign Blanked - Ontario Reign
- Martin Sets Franchise Record with 68-Save Shutout in 4-0 Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Coreau, Chimuelos Blank Gulls - San Antonio Rampage
- Late Rockford Rally Leads to Shootout Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Rally in Third for 3-2 Shootout Win over Comets - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Shutout, 4-0 - San Diego Gulls
- Starrett Stops 30 in Condors 3-1 Win over Tucson - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears
- San Jose Pro Eaters, Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie, Faceoff at First-Ever Barracuda Waffle-Eating Challenge
- San Jose Barracuda Reveal 5th Anniversary Team
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3