Atlanta United Wins 3-1 against Charleston Battery in Fourth Round of U.S. Open Cup
KENNESAW, Ga. - Brandon Vazquez scored two goals in extra time to lift Atlanta United to a 3-1 victory against Charleston Battery in the Fourth Round of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Thursday night.
The Battery opened the scoring in the 20th minute. AJ Paterson won a tackle on the left side of the penalty area and quickly found Ian Svantesson at the top of the box where the forward one-timed a shot into the bottom right corner.
Atlanta produced several close chances to equalize including in the 53rd minute when Pity Martinez dribbled by a defender on the left side and squared a ball for Romario Williams. The Jamaican one-timed a shot from inside the six-yard box, but had his attempt collected by Breno. Martinez continued to pressure Charleston's goal and in the 71st minute had a free kick saved by a diving Breno and in the 75th had a blistering shot saved for a corner, which was ultimately cleared.
Atlanta equalized in the 78th minute on a play that began with a give-and-go between Shea and Justin Meram on the left side. Meram sent a cross into the middle of the box where Martinez one-timed a shot that took a deflection and went out for a corner. Martinez delivered the corner kick to the back post for Miles Robinson who headed it back across goal where Williams poked the ball across the line to tie the match.
After neither team found a game-winner in regulation, the match went into extra time. Martinez passed to Meram at the top of the 18-yard box where the Iraqi international quickly found Vazquez near the penalty area. In his first appearance for the First Team this season, Vazquez took a touch around Breno and passed the ball into the net in the 110th minute.
Vazquez extended Atlanta's lead in the 121st minute. Martinez played Meram down the left side where he sent a low cross to the back post for Vazquez to one-time a shot into the bottom right corner.
Atlanta will face Columbus Crew in the Round of 16 at MAPFRE Stadium Tuesday, June 18 at 7 p.m. EST. Atlanta's next MLS Regular Season match is Wednesday, June 26 against Toronto FC at BMO Field (8:00 p.m. EST, FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 3, Charleston Battery 1
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 34-10 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 12-4 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 17-1 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 15-14 Charleston
Clearances: 45-15 Charleston
Offside: 4-3 Atlanta
Possession: 71-29 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 88-70 Atlanta
CHS - Ian Svantesson 20' (AJ Paterson) [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Romario Williams 79' (Miles Robinson, Pity Martinez) [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Brandon Vazquez 110' (Justin Meram) [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Brandon Vazquez 120+1' (Justin Meram) [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz 17' (yellow)
ATL - Pity Martinez 73' (yellow)
CHS - Jay Bolt 90' (yellow)
ATL - Romario Williams 98' (yellow)
CHS - Kotaro Higashi 116' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Alec Kann; Brek Shea, Florentin Pogba (Eric Remedi - 59'), Miles Robinson, Franco Escobar (Michael Parkhurst - 105'); Darlington Nagbe, Jeff Larentowicz ©; Andrew Carleton (Brandon Vazquez - 74'), Dion Pereira (Justin Meram - 58'), Pity Martinez, Romario Williams.
Substitutes not used: Brendan Moore, Mikey Ambrose, Gordon Wild.
CHARLESTON BATTERY STARTING LINEUP
Phil Breno; Kyle Nelson, Taylor Mueller ©, Jarad van Schaik; Nicholas Rittmeyer, Vincenzo Candela, Kierron Mason (Angelo Kelly-Rosales - 10'), A.J. Paterson (Kotaro Higashi - 63'); Dante Marini, Romario Piggott (Nicque Daley - 90'), Ian Svantesson (Arthur Bosua - 81').
Substitutes not used: Tah Anung, Joe Kuzminsky, Jay Bolt.
Kevin Broadley (referee), Khadime Sabara (assistant), Zach Mcwhorter (assistant), Wilmer Soriano (fourth)
Atlanta United improves to 4-0 in games played at Fifth Third Bank Stadium (3-0 Open Cup, 1-0 CCL)
Vazquez first appearance for ATL UTD this season
Vazquez now has 4 goals in Open Cup play, the most of any ATL UTD player
Romario Williams scored his 2nd Open Cup goal for ATL UTD
Justin Meram recorded two assists, the most assists for an ATL UTD player in team's Open Cup history
Atlanta United attempted 34 shots tonight, the most in an Open Cup match in team history
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 13, 2019
- Atlanta United Wins 3-1 against Charleston Battery in Fourth Round of U.S. Open Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Portland Timbers in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Hosts New Mexico United in Round of 16 of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact to Face York 9 FC in the Canadian Championship - Montreal Impact
- Revolution to Face Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title Defense against Minnesota United in Round of 16 on June 18 - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Draws Saint Louis FC in U.S. Open Cup Fifth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, June 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC to Host San Jose Earthquakes in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes to Face LAFC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC to Face Houston Dynamo in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play NYCFC on June 19 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- BBVA Compass Stadium Renamed BBVA Stadium with Ceremonial Logo Unveiling - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19 - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City to Host New England in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Launch Summer of Soccer Brand Campaign - MLS
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Orange County FC 0 - Wednesday, June 12, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Eliminated from 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 2-1 Loss to Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Advances to Round 16 of With 4-1 Open Cup Win - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team
- Atlanta United Loans Jon Gallagher to Aberdeen FC
- Four Atlanta United Players Voted to MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus