BBVA Compass Stadium Renamed BBVA Stadium with Ceremonial Logo Unveiling
HOUSTON - BBVA, the Houston Dynamo and Dash, and key city leaders gathered at the newly-renamed BBVA Stadium on Thursday to unveil the iconic venue's new signage in a ceremonial press conference, marking a new beginning for an East End neighborhood staple.
The new stadium name and corresponding signage change is part of BBVA's ongoing brand unification happening across the globe. BBVA Group's new logo and unified brand signals an advancement in the financial institution's efforts to become a single, global digital entity in all areas where it operates.
"BBVA Stadium has been a key venue for the bank for multiple reasons," said BBVA USA President and CEO Javier Rodriguez Soler. "It has hosted various sports, entertainment and charity events, cultivated a solid partnership between the bank and the Houston Dynamo and Dash, and over the past seven years, has provided an economic boost to the East End neighborhood. By updating the stadium's name, we are re-establishing our commitment to creating even more opportunities to an up-and-coming area and its residents."
More than 75 attendees were on-hand to witness the stadium's name unveiling, which Rodriguez Soler led with a countdown from a press conference podium in the stadium's Audi Sport Club.
PHOTO: Attached is an exterior image of the new BBVA Stadium signage. Credit - BBVA Stadium / Wilf Thorne
In addition to the unveiling, Rodriguez Soler also announced the First Annual BBVA Classic, which will feature the Dynamo and Mexican powerhouse Club América from Liga BBVA. The match will be held on Wednesday, July 24 at 7:30 p.m. CDT as part of the new Leagues Cup tournament between Major League Soccer and Liga BBVA.
A portion of the proceeds from the game will benefit the Tejano Center for Community Concerns, a neighborhood resource center for families across Houston. The center, originally founded in East End in 1992, strives to develop education, social, health and community institutions that empower families to transform their lives.
A dozen students from the Raul Yzaguirre Schools for Success Elite STEM Primary Academy's girls and boys soccer teams attended the ceremony and were recognized during the press conference. The academy is one of the various programs the center offers to fulfill its mission.
Carlos Torres Vila, BBVA Group Executive Chairman, also made the trip from Madrid, Spain to attend the press conference and took a moment to address the people in attendance on behalf of the bank's global operations.
"BBVA's brand name unification and logo change are part of our purpose, to bring the age of opportunity to everyone. In the digital age, customer experience is what matters the most. At BBVA we aim to provide the best products, services, and experiences to all our customers, in every country." said Torres Vila. "I'm honored to have been in Houston to demonstrate our commitment to the city by unveiling our unified brand name and new logo on one of Houston's own landmarks, the BBVA Stadium."
The Thursday press conference also included an array of key Houston leadership and figures, including City Councilman Robert Gallegos, representatives from the City of Houston, the East End District, the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, Houston Dynamo Legend Bobby Boswell and Houston Dynamo and Dash President John Walker.
"BBVA Stadium has quickly established itself as a premier sports and entertainment venue not only in Houston, but in America," Walker said. "Along with our partners at BBVA, we look forward to continuing to deliver championship-level experiences to fans from around the world and showcasing the BBVA brand on a global scale for years to come."
BBVA Stadium first opened in 2012 and has played host to more than 325 ticketed events including Houston Dynamo and Houston Dash homes games, Texas Southern University home football games, international soccer and rugby matches and concerts. The stadium has hosted 19 different international soccer clubs, 29 men's and women's national soccer teams and 17 men's and women's national rugby teams.
Since the stadium opened its doors, the bank's commitment to the East End has helped strengthen the area's economy on multiple fronts. More recently, the BBVA Foundation awarded more than $130,000 to non-profits serving East End neighborhoods in 2018.
BBVA also provided a combined $29.5 million in construction financing and equity investment in the amount of $20.5 million on two multi-family housing developments in East End neighborhoods during 2018. Those affordable housing projects include Campanile on Commerce and New Hope Housing Harrisburg.
Further to BBVA's commitment to the East End, since 2016, the bank has invested $3.25 million to LISC Greater Houston that resulted in the creation of affordable housing in East End neighborhoods.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 13, 2019
- Atlanta United Wins 3-1 against Charleston Battery in Fourth Round of U.S. Open Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Portland Timbers in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Hosts New Mexico United in Round of 16 of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact to Face York 9 FC in the Canadian Championship - Montreal Impact
- Revolution to Face Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title Defense against Minnesota United in Round of 16 on June 18 - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Draws Saint Louis FC in U.S. Open Cup Fifth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, June 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC to Host San Jose Earthquakes in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes to Face LAFC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC to Face Houston Dynamo in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play NYCFC on June 19 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- BBVA Compass Stadium Renamed BBVA Stadium with Ceremonial Logo Unveiling - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19 - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City to Host New England in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Launch Summer of Soccer Brand Campaign - MLS
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Orange County FC 0 - Wednesday, June 12, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Eliminated from 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 2-1 Loss to Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Advances to Round 16 of With 4-1 Open Cup Win - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Sign Defender Kyle Adams from RGV FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign GK Cody Cropper
- BBVA Stadium Hosts Dynamo Fan Fest on Saturday, January 25
- Individual Tickets for All Houston Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park