Revolution to Face Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution will travel to face Orlando City SC in the Round of 16 of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, June 19. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Fla., and will be streamed live on ESPN+.
The matchup was determined via a random draw by U.S. Soccer on Thursday morning, which separated the remaining 16 teams into geographical pools of four. Should the Revolution advance past Orlando City and into the Quarterfinal round, the club will host the winner of D.C. United vs. New York City FC (June 19) at a date, time, and venue to be announced.
Wednesday's contest will mark the 10th all-time meeting between New England and Orlando City SC, and their first in the U.S. Open Cup. The Revolution hold a 3-2-4 record against the 2015 expansion side, with an 0-2-3 mark in away matches. A trio of Revs attackers enters the match tied for the club lead in career scoring against Orlando with three goals and one assist apiece -- Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, and Diego Fagundez. Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena won the Open Cup in 1996 with D.C. United, while Orlando City Head Coach James O'Connor topped New England in the tournament once before, when his Louisville City FC side beat the Revolution in 2018 Fourth Round, 3-2.
New England advanced to the Round of 16 by defeating the New York Red Bulls, 3-2, after extra time in the Fourth Round at MSU Soccer Park in Montclair, N.J. Forward Juan Agudelo opened the scoring for the visitors, while Teal Bunbury's late heroics with an 85th-minute equalizer and game-winning goal in extra time after the Revs went down to 10 men sealed the win. Goalkeeper Matt Turner also played a pivotal role, coming up with a penalty save in the second half.
The Revolution are seeking a 10th trip to the Quarterfinal round in its 20th year participating in the tournament. New England defeated FC Dallas in the 2007 U.S. Open Cup Final, 3-2, to win the title, and also made trips to the final in 2001 and 2016. Overall, the club is 21-16-5 in 42 total games in the competition, including an 8-11-2 mark in away matches and an 8-11-1 record against MLS opposition.
Dating back to 1914, the U.S. Open Cup is the oldest cup competition in United States soccer and is among the oldest in the world. Open to all affiliated amateur and professional teams in the United States, the annual U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament. The winner of the U.S. Open Cup receives a bid to the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, an annual tournament between the top clubs from North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
For up-to-the-minute information on the Revolution, visit the team's official web site at revolutionsoccer.net, or join the conversation and interact with fans on any of the team's social platforms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 13, 2019
- Atlanta United Wins 3-1 against Charleston Battery in Fourth Round of U.S. Open Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Portland Timbers in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Hosts New Mexico United in Round of 16 of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
- Montreal Impact to Face York 9 FC in the Canadian Championship - Montreal Impact
- Revolution to Face Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title Defense against Minnesota United in Round of 16 on June 18 - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Draws Saint Louis FC in U.S. Open Cup Fifth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, June 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC to Host San Jose Earthquakes in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes to Face LAFC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC to Face Houston Dynamo in Round of 16 of U.S. Open Cup - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play NYCFC on June 19 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- BBVA Compass Stadium Renamed BBVA Stadium with Ceremonial Logo Unveiling - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19 - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City to Host New England in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Launch Summer of Soccer Brand Campaign - MLS
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Orange County FC 0 - Wednesday, June 12, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Eliminated from 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 2-1 Loss to Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Advances to Round 16 of With 4-1 Open Cup Win - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Hire Dave van den Bergh as Assistant Coach
- New England Revolution, Gabriel Somi Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC, 2-1, After Extra Time in 2019 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC