Americans Sweep Wichita
Wichita, Kansas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, completed the weekend sweep of the Wichita Thunder on Sunday afternoon with an 8-3 win at Intrust Bank Arena.
The Americans exploded for five goals in the first period and added three more in the second. Mitch Maloney scored two goals for Allen in the win. Maloney had four goals in three games against Wichita this weekend. Braylon Shmyr and Dante Salituro each had three-point games for the Americans. Zach Pochiro scored his team-leading 22nd goal of the year.
"We took it to them early," said Americans forward Zach Pochiro. "Our team is playing with a ton of confidence right now and we're finally seeing the results.
The Americans went 4 for 7 with the man-advantage while Wichita went 0 for 4. CJ Motte won all three games this weekend stopping 13 of 14 shots he faced on Sunday. Motte was rested in the third period as backup Kyle Hayton stopped 13 of 15 shots fired his way.
The Americans will resume the road swing on Wednesday night in Idaho. Allen has scored 19 goals in their last three games.
1. ALN - M. Maloney
2. ALN - B. Shmyr
3. ALN - D. Salituro
Americans Next Home Game:
Wednesday,January 30th vs. Idaho
Time: 7:05 pm CST
Venue: Allen Event Center
Images from this story
Mitch Maloney of the Allen Americans breaks free against the Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2019
- Royals Add D Graves to Active Roster - Reading Royals
- Goaltenders Madsen and Brodeur Return to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Mariners Weekly: Home Cooking Starts Wednesday - Maine Mariners
- It's Time for All-Star Weekend - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Matt Lane Returns from Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 14 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mark Cooper Loaned to San Antonio Rampage (AHL) - Kansas City Mavericks
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 14 (January 7-13, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Weekly - January 14, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Gain Four Points for Week 14; Wings Return Wednesday, Hanson Brothers Here Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Weekly, January 14th - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Return Home this Week vs Tulsa - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wings Weekly: K-Wings Prepare to Retire Gagnon's #1 as a Part of 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Reassigned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 14 - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Weekly: Busy Home Week Ahead - Reading Royals
- Americans Sweep Wichita - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.