Abbotsford Canucks Vs Bakersfield Condors Game Preview
For the fourth and final time this season, the Abbotsford Canucks and Bakersfield Condors are set to square off on Wednesday night, concluding the season series which Abbotsford has dominated.
The Canucks have won all three games so far this season, starting off with a 3-2 overtime victory in Bakersfield back in October. The two sides then met for a pair of games at Abbotsford Centre in November, with Abbotsford taking both games by scores of 6-3 and 4-3. Wednesday's contest takes place at Mechanics Bank Arena in Bakersfield at 6:30pm pst.
The Condors enter the game in sixth place in the Pacific Division (29-27-2-2) with 62 points. Meanwhile, Abbotsford sits in third place in the Pacific Division (35-21-2-4) with 76 points. In the division, third place would host sixth place in a best-of-three playoffs series in the opening round of the Calder Cup Playoffs, so Wednesday could be a possible playoff preview between the Canucks and Condors.
Bakersfield bested Abbotsford in the opening round of the playoffs last year, sweeping the Canucks 2-0 in May 2022.
Things will certainly look a little bit different in the Condors goal on Wednesday compared to last season, with Stuart Skinner spending the season in Edmonton with the NHL Oilers. This year, it has been Calvin Pickard who has commanded the Bakersfield net, going 19-9-2 with a .912 save percentage. The second half of the goaltending tandem in Bakersfield is Olivier Rodrigue, going 10-13-1 with a .907 save percentage.
Across the ice from Pickard and Rodrigue will be either Arturs Silovs or Spencer Martin. Silovs ranks second amongst active goalies in wins with 23, as well as tied for second amongst active goalies for most shutouts with four. The two netminders have split the net evenly over the last eight games, with Martin picking up nine of a possible 12 points through his last six starts.
Offensively, Seth Griffith has lead the charge for the Condors, leading the team in assists (37) and points (54), while sitting second in goals with 17. That honour falls to Raphael Lavoie, and his 22 tallies this season. Recent addition to the Condors blueline, Cam Dineen, has put up six points (all assists) through his seven games in Bakersfield since leaving the Tucson Roadrunners.
Linus Karlsson has continued his impressive rookie campaign, registering four points in his last four games, including breaking the franchise record for rookie points scored, by surpassing Jack Rathbone's total of 40 from 2021-22. Karlsson leads the team in goals with 20, and is tied for second for the most assists amongst active players (24) with Tristen Nielsen and Arshdeep Bains. Justin Dowling, who played in his 500th AHL game on Saturday, leads the active Abbotsford roster with 31 assists this season.
Bakersfield's 180 goals scored this season is currently the second fewest by a team actively holding a playoff spot, with only the Hershey Bears (178) having found the back of the net less. The Condors are also the only team this season that Abbotsford hasn't lost to so far in the season series.
Up next for the Canucks is continuing their final road trip of the regular season with a weekend series in Ontario on Friday night and Sunday afternoon. Following the series against the Reign, Abbotsford finishes their road trip with a pair of games next Thursday and Saturday in Manitoba against the Moose. The Canucks then play five games at home to wrap up the year against Ontario and Calgary. To purchase tickets to an upcoming Abbotsford Canucks game, please click HERE.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2023
- Kinkaid Posts 21-Save Shutout in Colorado's 8-0 Win Over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Hold Off Firebirds In Cedar Park - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recognize World Down Syndrome Day - San Diego Gulls
- Amerks Force Overtime, Fall to Crunch in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Top Amerks, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Sign Defenseman Cole Krygier to ATO - Ontario Reign
- Abbotsford Canucks Vs Bakersfield Condors Game Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- Ontario Reign Sign Defenseman Cole Krygier to ATO - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Get Two from Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- It's Crunch Time for the Wranglers - Calgary Wranglers
- Bears Visit Empire State, Host Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Sign Jagger Joshua to AHL Contract - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Max Crozier to Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Henderson Silver Knights Announce Partnership with Franklin Group - Henderson Silver Knights
- Bruins Buzz - March 21 - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Sign Nathan Burke to ATO - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins Continue Busy Stretch against Chicago, Iowa - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Ink Forward Brett Berard to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Birds Broadcast, Granted - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Monsters Introduce a New, Unique Fan Experience: the Modelo Fanboni - Cleveland Monsters
- Bridgeport Islanders Sign Krygier, Pivonka to Amateur Tryout Agreements - Bridgeport Islanders
- Condors Take on Abbotsford at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday - Bakersfield Condors
- Penguins Look to Stay Hot Through STAR WARS Night, Kids Free Sunday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at San Diego Gulls - Iowa Wild
- Top Hockey Prospects in United States Come to Utica this Week - Utica Comets
- Matt Luff Recalled by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dallas Recalls Poirier and Loans Murray to Texas - Texas Stars
- Game #61 - Ontario Reign at Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Abbotsford Canucks Stories
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce 2023 Training Camp in Chilliwack
- Single Game Tickets for First Half of Season on Sale August 30
- Canucks Sign Four Players to One-Year AHL Contracts
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce 2023.24 Regular Season Schedule
- Canucks Announce ECHL Partnership with Kalamazoo Wings for 2023.24 Season