Wong Homers Twice, Santos Earns First Triple-A Win at Syracuse
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Worcester Red Sox (61-59) homered three times and scored in each of their first four offensive innings on the way to a 9-1 win over the Syracuse Mets (51-69) on Thursday night.
Two pitches into the game, Connor Wong put the road team on the board, smacking a leadoff solo shot to right-center at NBT Bank Stadium, the first of two on the night. Since returning to the WooSox lineup from injury on August 13, Wong is now 16-for-45 (.356) with six homers, 10 extra-base-hits and 13 RBI.
Worcester continued to pile it on against Syracuse starter Harol González, putting two on with two out in the second. Nick Sogard worked a 2-0 count, then pulled a line drive down the right field line for a two-run double. The double gave Sogard his fifth two-bagger in August and extended his on-base streak to eight games.
Leading 4-0 in the third, Pedro Castellanos made it 6-0 with a two-run blast to left off a hanging breaking ball. Castellanos, who entered the night slashing .292/.326/.431 over 35 games with Worcester, notched his fourth Triple-A home run with the swing. An inning later, Wong delivered his fourth multi-RBI game of the month with a run-scoring groundout.
After taking the loss in his first three Triple-A starts, starter Victor Santos turned in his best performance with the WooSox. Santos carried a no-hitter two outs in to the fifth, finishing the night with the following line: 6 IP, 3 0, 0 R, 1 BB, 11 K. The eleven-strikeout effort ties a professional career high, a mark the right-hander set in 2018 in the Gulf Coast League.
Wong cracked another homer in the eighth for good measure, this time a three-run long ball to left that left the ballpark entirely.
Behind Santos, Worcester's bullpen continued its dominance-A.J. Politi and Geoff Hartlieb kept the Mets off the scoreboard in the seventh and eighth, respectively. In the ninth, Durbin Feltman allowed an unearned run a runner reached on a dropped popup, then scored after a Nick Dini RBI single.
Over its last nine games, the WooSox bullpen has posted a 1.48 ERA (7 ER in 42.2 IP).
The WooSox continue the six-game road series on Friday at 6:35 p.m. against the Syracuse Mets. On the mound, Brian Keller (3-5, 3.38) faces Jose Rodriguez (1-3, 6.31). Radio coverage is live at 6:15 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2022
- Iowa Walks-Off St. Paul for Third Straight Win - Iowa Cubs
- Indians Rock Red Wings 14-4 Behind Eight-Run Fourth - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall 14-4 in Indianapolis Thursday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan's Round-Tripper Highlights Hens' Loss to Bats - Toledo Mud Hens
- Rogers Fans 12 in 5-1 Win over Tides - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- White's Eighth-Inning Homer Lifts Stripers to 2-0 Win at Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Best Sounds 7-5 - Durham Bulls
- Varland Dominates, But Saints Lose on Walk-Off Homer in 9th, 2-1 to I-Cubs - St. Paul Saints
- White's Eighth-Inning Homer Lifts Stripers to 2-0 Win in Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sounds Lose Battle in Durham - Nashville Sounds
- Offense Quiet in Jacksonville During Game Three Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Syracuse Offense Slows in 9-1 Loss to Worcester on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gilliam and Santana Fuel Bats to 5-4 Win - Louisville Bats
- Wong Homers Twice, Santos Earns First Triple-A Win at Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Bisons Unable to Keep Pace with Columbus in 9-6 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Rochester Red Wings (54-65) vs. Indianapolis Indians (59-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- August 25 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. St. Paul Saints - Iowa Cubs
- HK Gets His Call: Howard Kellman to Broadcast Yankees-Rays Game on Friday, September 2 - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - August 25 at Indianapolis - Rochester Red Wings
- Nashville Sounds Host Cardinals Affiliate for Six-Game Series Beginning Tuesday - Nashville Sounds
- Charles Esten to Visit Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Homestand Highlights: World Champions Replica Ring Giveaway Returns to Coolray Field - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall to Redbirds 16-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Jacksonville Walks off for de Facto Twin Bill Split Against Norfolk - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Offense Explodes for 16 Runs in Wednesday Night Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers' Bullpen Shines in Loss to RailRiders - Omaha Storm Chasers
- "Tyler's Teammates" Turns Grief into Goodwill - Worcester Red Sox
- Wong Goes Deep in Comeback Win at Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Taco & Tequila Tuesdays, Woof Woof Wednesdays, & Throwback Thursdays Highlight WooSox '23 Promotion Innovations
- Tickets for Opening Day & April & May to Go on Sale Sat. 12/10 with Winter Wonderland at Polar Park
- WooSox Thankful for Partnership with Assumption; Recall Football and Baseball Feats on the Field
- WooSox Wrap up Month of Giving with Veterans Day and Thanksgiving Activities and Events
- WooSox Re-Launch "New WooSox Rewards," a Free Fan Loyalty Program