HK Gets His Call: Howard Kellman to Broadcast Yankees-Rays Game on Friday, September 2
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Indians today announced that Voice of the Indians Howard Kellman will handle play-by-play duties on the New York Yankees Radio Network (WFAN 101.9 FM & Sports Radio 66 AM) on Friday, Sept. 2 at Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays. Kellman's stint with the Yankees will be his first major league broadcast assignment since 2014 and third overall.
Kellman, who is in his 46th season with the Indians, has previously worked behind the microphone for the Chicago White Sox (1984) and as a replacement for the New York Mets (2014). He first joined the Indians in 1974 and has been the club's lead play-by-play voice in all but two seasons (1975, 1980) since his rookie year.
"This is a great honor, and I am most thankful to both WFAN and the Yankees for this opportunity," said Kellman, who grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y. and graduated from Brooklyn College. "George Steinbrenner let me practice my play-by-play in vacant broadcast booths at old Yankee Stadium which helped me in getting hired with the Indianapolis Indians. I am thrilled to call a Yankees game again!"
Kellman has called nearly 6,600 games in his tenure with the Indians, a run that includes 13 division titles, seven postseason championships and nine no-hitters thrown by Indy. He has been part of the radio broadcast team for three Triple-A All-Star Games, including the 1989 Midsummer Classic in Columbus, Ohio, the 2001 contest at Indianapolis' Victory Field and most recently the 2013 showcase in Reno, Nev. In addition, he led the broadcast team for ESPN's coverage of the Triple-A World Series from 2006-08.
"Howard's voice has been synonymous with Indianapolis Indians baseball for 46 years touching six decades," said Randy Lewandowski, Indianapolis Indians President & General Manager. "Having called many iconic moments in our organization's rich history, Howard has become a staple not only with the Indians but in thousands of households across Central Indiana. We are excited for Howard as he gets to call a game for the team he rooted for as a youngster - the New York Yankees."
Kellman was honored as Indiana's Sportscaster of the Year in 2002 and was inducted into the Indiana Sportswriters & Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame in 2009. He added two more inductions to his ledger in 2015 with the Indiana Broadcast Pioneers Hall of Fame and in 2018 with the Indiana High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
Kellman's broadcast partner in the visiting radio booth at Tropicana Field will be Yankees color commentator Suzyn Waldman, who has been part of Yankees radio broadcasts with play-by-play voice John Sterling since 2005. First pitch for the Yankees-Rays matchup on Sept. 2 is set for 7:10 PM.
The Indians continue their current series with Rochester tonight through Sunday, Aug. 28 at Victory Field. Following a two-week road trip, Indianapolis returns to The Vic for its final homestand of the 2022 season from Sept. 13-24. Single-game tickets are available along with group and premium reservations. For more information, visit IndyIndians.com or contact the Victory Field Box Office at (317) 269-3545.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2022
- Iowa Walks-Off St. Paul for Third Straight Win - Iowa Cubs
- Indians Rock Red Wings 14-4 Behind Eight-Run Fourth - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall 14-4 in Indianapolis Thursday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan's Round-Tripper Highlights Hens' Loss to Bats - Toledo Mud Hens
- Rogers Fans 12 in 5-1 Win over Tides - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- White's Eighth-Inning Homer Lifts Stripers to 2-0 Win at Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Best Sounds 7-5 - Durham Bulls
- Varland Dominates, But Saints Lose on Walk-Off Homer in 9th, 2-1 to I-Cubs - St. Paul Saints
- White's Eighth-Inning Homer Lifts Stripers to 2-0 Win in Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sounds Lose Battle in Durham - Nashville Sounds
- Offense Quiet in Jacksonville During Game Three Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Syracuse Offense Slows in 9-1 Loss to Worcester on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gilliam and Santana Fuel Bats to 5-4 Win - Louisville Bats
- Wong Homers Twice, Santos Earns First Triple-A Win at Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Bisons Unable to Keep Pace with Columbus in 9-6 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Rochester Red Wings (54-65) vs. Indianapolis Indians (59-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- August 25 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. St. Paul Saints - Iowa Cubs
- HK Gets His Call: Howard Kellman to Broadcast Yankees-Rays Game on Friday, September 2 - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - August 25 at Indianapolis - Rochester Red Wings
- Nashville Sounds Host Cardinals Affiliate for Six-Game Series Beginning Tuesday - Nashville Sounds
- Charles Esten to Visit Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Homestand Highlights: World Champions Replica Ring Giveaway Returns to Coolray Field - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall to Redbirds 16-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Jacksonville Walks off for de Facto Twin Bill Split Against Norfolk - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Offense Explodes for 16 Runs in Wednesday Night Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers' Bullpen Shines in Loss to RailRiders - Omaha Storm Chasers
- "Tyler's Teammates" Turns Grief into Goodwill - Worcester Red Sox
- Wong Goes Deep in Comeback Win at Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indianapolis' Jeremy Martin Named International League Visiting Clubhouse Attendant of the Year
- Hey Batter, Batter, SWING: Indianapolis Indians Charities to Host SWING Presented by Krieg DeVault on September 27, 2024
- Rowdie's Home Plate Holiday Returns Saturday, December 2
- Indians Announce Front Office Additions, Promotions
- Canaan Smith-Njigba Earns International League September Player of the Month