Wolves To Present Sipotz With Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award
The Chicago Wolves will present defenseman BRIAN SIPOTZ with the 2008 Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award before the team battles the Quad City Flames at the Allstate Arena on Sun., April 6, at 3 p.m. The award recognizes the Wolves player who best typifies Breslin's on-ice spirit and team-first attitude.
Breslin, who was one of the first three players signed by the franchise, passed away on Feb. 9, 2005, due to complications from appendiceal cancer, which is a malignancy of the appendix. The Addison native and Driscoll Catholic High School graduate played five seasons with the team and was a member of the 1998 Turner Cup Championship squad. The Breslin family will be on hand to present SIPOTZ with the award.
"It is exactly fitting that Brian would get this award," said Wolves Assistant Coach Wendell Young, who was a teammate of Breslin's for five seasons with Chicago. "Much like Timmy was, Brian is a constant for us. He may not always get the recognition, but his consistency, both on the ice and off, is a big thing for the team. Community-wise, he is just like Tim: he does so much away from the ice that people don't even know about. He is very deserving of this award."
The 26-year-old blueliner was selected through fan voting on chicagowolves.com from a list of three candidates nominated by the Wolves coaching staff, which also included centers Steve Martins and Andre Deveaux.
SIPOTZ, a graduate of Miami University of Ohio, has appeared in 252 games with Chicago over the last four seasons, which includes tallying four assists and five points in 47 outings this year. Last season, the 6-foot-7 inch defenseman led the American Hockey League and set a franchise record with a +34 plus/minus rating.
Past winners of the award include current Wolves players Brian Fahey (2007) and Kevin Doell (2006) and former Chicago defenseman Tim Wedderburn (2005).
For more information, or tickets to the game, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or log on to chicagowolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 2, 2008
- Rampage Rally to Beat Milwaukee in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose bite back, beat Wolves 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Aeros shutout Monsters 2-0 for team record 10th shutout - Houston Aeros
- Aeros Aim for the Sky Versus Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs are Grrrrreat! - Manchester Monarchs
- USS Houle Torpedos Admirals II - The Sequal - Adirondack Phantoms
- Marlies Stop Griffins, 2-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Clinch North Division Title - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Beat Sharks 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- River Rats Down Penguins In Shootout - Albany River Rats
- Manchester beats Sound Tigers 5-1 for the second time this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Menace Admirals Again - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Fly To 4-2 Win Over Sharks - Worcester Sharks
- Phantoms To Hold Spring Cleaning Day - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros sign LW Ryan Jones to ATO - Houston Aeros
- Syracuse Chiefs Players Chip Cannon and Curtis Thigpen to Appear at April 4 Crunch Game - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars Sign D Matt Stephenson to ATO - Iowa Chops
- Rangers Agree To Terms With Forward Ryan Hillier - Connecticut Whale
- Montreal Recalls Pair Of Forwards From Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Defenseman Nick Ross joins Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Empire Vision Centers Poster Night at the Crunch set for April 12 - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL announces suspension - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sign Hamill and Penner - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Defenseman Daryl Boyle to ATO - Norfolk Admirals
- Columbus Returns Marc Methot - Syracuse Crunch
- Boyle, Purcell Named To AHL All-Rookie Team - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Tomas Zaborsky to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Sharks Host "Bald is Beautiful" on Truck Day - Worcester Sharks
- Curry, Goligoski Named To All-Rookie Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Franson Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Milwaukee Admirals
- 2007-08 AHL All-Rookie Team announced - AHL
- Josh Cribbs to be at this Friday's Lake Erie Monsters game - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Roster Expands With Reinforcements From Atlanta - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Wolves To Present Sipotz With Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Worchester Sharks Add Two More to Roster - Worcester Sharks
- Sunday's Celebrity Broomball Game Cancelled - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen in the Community - Peoria Rivermen
- Marlies Playoff Tickets On Sale Friday - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Host Sharks Wednesday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Cribbs at The Q on Friday - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston visits Lake Erie tonight at 6 p.m. in search of season-sweep - Houston Aeros
- Amerks Sign Forward David Jarram to ATO - Rochester Americans
- Lashoff Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Lake Erie Career Fair Postponed - Cleveland Monsters
- Boyle Heads to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Smother Comeback, Best Moose 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.