Wolves Can't Hold on to Stars
ROSEMONT, Illinois - Rhett Gardner scored 2:58 into overtime to lift the Texas Stars to a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Wolves Wednesday night at Allstate Arena.
Captain Andrew Poturalski scored his league-leading 20th goal for the Wolves (24-7-4-1), who limited the Stars to 17 shots on goal - just 2 off the franchise record. Chicago maintained the best points percentage in the AHL's Western Conference and pushed its Central Division lead to 6 points.
"I thought we played well," said Wolves head coach Ryan Warsofsky. "We had some opportunities. We outshot them heavily...but at the end of the day it's black and white. You win or you lose and we lost."
Poturalski delivered the game's first goal at 13:37 of the first. The Wolves controlled the puck in the offensive zone for an entire power play and scored four seconds after returning to even strength, but before the penalized player could get into the fray. CJ Smith whistled a shot from the left faceoff dot that rebounded to the right faceoff dot for Poturalski, who launched a riser over goaltender Matt Jurusik for his league-leading 20th goal.
The Wolves held Texas without a shot for more than 16 minutes, but the Stars (11-14-4-2) converted on a rare attempt as they rushed up ice and Gardner found Tye Felhaber on the doorstep for a tap-in and a 1-1 tie at 2:09 of the second.
Midway through overtime, the Stars set up a 3-on-2 opportunity. Ty Dellandrea came down the left side and found Gardner open in the right circle for a one-timer that earned the Stars the extra poin.
Jack LaFontaine (0-0-1), voted the nation's best collegiate goaltender last year while leading Minnesota to the Big Ten tournament championship, made his AHL debut for the Wolves and stopped 15 of 17 shots.
LaGrange native Matt Jurusik (4-1-1) posted 36 saves in the win.
The Wolves continue their homestand at 7 p.m. Friday against Grand Rapids and 7 p.m. Saturday versus Rockford. The Wolves are offering two free tickets for either game for all health care workers as the team unveils their exclusive Healthcare Heroes jerseys, presented by Turtle Wax. To request tickets or learn how to bid in the jersey auctions earmarked for local charities, visit ChicagoWolves.com or contact a Wolves representative at WolvesTix@ChicagoWolves.com.
STARS 2, WOLVES 1 (OT)
Texas 0 1 0 1 -- 2
Chicago 1 0 0 0 -- 1
First Period-1, Chicago, Poturalski 20 (Smith, Lajoie), 13:37.
Penalties-Tufte, Texas (hooking), 11:33.
Second Period-2, Texas, Felhaber 2 (Gardner, McKenzie), 2:09.
Penalties-Marino, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 3:06; Smith, Chicago (tripping), 14:57.
Penalties-Gleason, Texas (cross-checking), 10:01; Tufte, Texas (holding), 14:10.
Overtime-3, Texas, Gardner 4 (Dellandrea, Rosburg), 2:58.
Shots on goal-Texas 3-4-8-2-17; Chicago 11-6-19-1-37. Power plays-Texas 0-2; Chicago 0-3. Goalies-Texas, Jurusik (36-37); Chicago, LaFontaine (15-17). Referees-Shaun Davis and Peter Tarnaris. Linesmen-Jeff Pacocha and Jonathan Sladek.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2022
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Two Minutes for Thoughts: January 27th, 2022 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dylan Scott to Perform Post-Game Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Justin Abdelkader Joins Team USA as Alternate - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Belleville Sens Launch 11 Game Family Day Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Belleville Senators
- El Lazo, Star Wars Night Highlight Roadrunners Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brett Sutter Set to Appear in 1,000th Career Pro Game Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Viveiros Returns to Silver Knights - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens to Play Home Games on January 28 and February 2 Without Fans in Attendance - Belleville Senators
- Thunderbirds Return Home Friday & Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Amazon to Present Amazon Community Heroes Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Re-Assign Joe Snively to Taxi Squad from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Sikura Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Cole Koepke, Darren Raddysh from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Kick off February with Princess Night, Youth Jersey Giveaway - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Delia Recalled to Blackhawks; Morris and Soderblom Return - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Reassign Goaltender Evan Cormier - Manitoba Moose
- Rangers Recall Brodzinski and Jones to Active Roster, Gettinger, Lundkvist, Pajuniemi and Reunanen to Taxi Squad - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Ink Patrick Watling to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Weekly #16: Hershey Hits Midpoint of Season - Hershey Bears
- Special Teams Doom Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Power Play Drives Eagles to Eighth Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Roadrunners Return Home To Tucson Arena With Wednesday Night Matchup Against Bakersfield Condors - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Beat Wolves in Overtime to Extend Point Streak to Five - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Earn Hard Fought Point in Overtime Loss to Wild - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Can't Hold on to Stars - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.