Justin Abdelkader Joins Team USA as Alternate
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday released left wing Justin Abdelkader from his professional tryout, as he'll be joining Team USA as an alternate for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.
Former Griffins center Andy Miele and goaltender Pat Nagle were previously named to the United States' 25-man Olympic roster, while 11 other alumni were also selected to play for their respective countries.
This will be Abdelkader's sixth time representing his nation, as the Muskegon, Mich., native most recently captained Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2021 World Championship. The forward captured his first bronze medal at the 2007 World Junior Championship, made his World Championship debut in 2012 before first serving as captain in 2014, then played in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. While wearing the Red, White and Blue, Abdelkader has amassed 12 points (5-7-12) and 47 penalty minutes in 31 contests.
The 14-year-pro joined the Griffins on a professional tryout on Jan. 21 and made his season debut a day later against Milwaukee, setting the new standard for longest time between Griffins appearances at 4,305 days, or 11 years, nine months and 12 days (April 10, 2010 to Jan. 22, 2022). Abdelkader competed with Grand Rapids for two years from 2008-10 before moving on to the Detroit Red Wings, where he ultimately played parts of 13 seasons. The 2004 Mr. Hockey of Michigan has skated in 112 games for the Griffins and totaled 76 points (35-41-76) and 190 penalty minutes, earning AHL All-Rookie Team honors during the 2008-09 season when he logged 52 points (24-28-52) in 76 contests.
Abdelkader earned a full-time roster spot with Detroit in the 2010-11 season and concluded his NHL career with 739 games, 252 points (106-146-252) and 608 penalty minutes. The former Michigan State Spartan wore the "A" on his Red Wings jersey from 2016-20. Abdelkader spent his entire North American career in the Red Wings organization and appeared in eight Stanley Cup Playoff runs.
Single-game tickets are on sale through griffinshockey.com/tickets . Fans can secure their full-season , select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2022
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Two Minutes for Thoughts: January 27th, 2022 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dylan Scott to Perform Post-Game Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Justin Abdelkader Joins Team USA as Alternate - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Belleville Sens Launch 11 Game Family Day Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Belleville Senators
- El Lazo, Star Wars Night Highlight Roadrunners Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brett Sutter Set to Appear in 1,000th Career Pro Game Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Viveiros Returns to Silver Knights - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens to Play Home Games on January 28 and February 2 Without Fans in Attendance - Belleville Senators
- Thunderbirds Return Home Friday & Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Amazon to Present Amazon Community Heroes Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Re-Assign Joe Snively to Taxi Squad from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Sikura Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Cole Koepke, Darren Raddysh from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Kick off February with Princess Night, Youth Jersey Giveaway - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Delia Recalled to Blackhawks; Morris and Soderblom Return - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Reassign Goaltender Evan Cormier - Manitoba Moose
- Rangers Recall Brodzinski and Jones to Active Roster, Gettinger, Lundkvist, Pajuniemi and Reunanen to Taxi Squad - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Ink Patrick Watling to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Weekly #16: Hershey Hits Midpoint of Season - Hershey Bears
- Special Teams Doom Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Power Play Drives Eagles to Eighth Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Roadrunners Return Home To Tucson Arena With Wednesday Night Matchup Against Bakersfield Condors - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Beat Wolves in Overtime to Extend Point Streak to Five - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Earn Hard Fought Point in Overtime Loss to Wild - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Can't Hold on to Stars - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Dominik Shine Returns on Two-Year Deal
- Grand Rapids Re-Signs Lashoff and Spezia
- Real Seafood Company Dinner to Benefit Griffins Youth Foundation
- 2022 IIHF World Championship Features 12 Current Or Former Griffins
- Kyle Criscuolo Honored as Griffins' Person of the Year