Thunderbirds Return Home Friday & Saturday
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (19-13-4-1) return to the MassMutual Center following a four-game road trip for games on Friday night versus the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (12-13-6-2) and on Saturday against the Providence Bruins (17-11-3-1). The puck will drop at 7:05 p.m. for both games.
Friday night marks just the second matchup of the regular season between Springfield and Lehigh Valley. After starting the year in a funk, the Phantoms have won six of their last 10 games heading into play this weekend. The Thunderbirds came away winners in overtime by a final score of 2-1 in the first matchup against Lehigh Valley on Nov. 13 inside the PPL Center. Hugh McGing tallied the game-winning goal off a beautiful pass from Nathan Todd in the extra period.
On Saturday night, the Bruins come into town for Hometown Heroes Night presented by People's United Bank and Springfield's Ride to Remember. It already marks the third meeting between Springfield and Providence in the month of January. Providence holds a narrow edge in the season series over the Thunderbirds, winning three matchups, while the Thunderbirds have defeated the Bruins twice so far in the 2021-22 season.
The Atlantic Division race continues to be a very tight one, as Springfield sits in the fourth spot with a .581 points percentage. However, the difference between first and fourth place sits at just three percentage points. The top six teams in the division will make the new AHL Calder Cup playoff format at the season's end.
For more information on the Springfield Thunderbirds and to order tickets, please visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com. To learn more about becoming a Thunderbirds ticket member, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) to speak to a Thunderbirds representative.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2022
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Two Minutes for Thoughts: January 27th, 2022 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dylan Scott to Perform Post-Game Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Justin Abdelkader Joins Team USA as Alternate - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Belleville Sens Launch 11 Game Family Day Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Belleville Senators
- El Lazo, Star Wars Night Highlight Roadrunners Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brett Sutter Set to Appear in 1,000th Career Pro Game Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Viveiros Returns to Silver Knights - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Sens to Play Home Games on January 28 and February 2 Without Fans in Attendance - Belleville Senators
- Thunderbirds Return Home Friday & Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Amazon to Present Amazon Community Heroes Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Re-Assign Joe Snively to Taxi Squad from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Sikura Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Cole Koepke, Darren Raddysh from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Kick off February with Princess Night, Youth Jersey Giveaway - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Delia Recalled to Blackhawks; Morris and Soderblom Return - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Reassign Goaltender Evan Cormier - Manitoba Moose
- Rangers Recall Brodzinski and Jones to Active Roster, Gettinger, Lundkvist, Pajuniemi and Reunanen to Taxi Squad - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Ink Patrick Watling to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Weekly #16: Hershey Hits Midpoint of Season - Hershey Bears
- Special Teams Doom Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Power Play Drives Eagles to Eighth Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Roadrunners Return Home To Tucson Arena With Wednesday Night Matchup Against Bakersfield Condors - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Beat Wolves in Overtime to Extend Point Streak to Five - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Earn Hard Fought Point in Overtime Loss to Wild - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Can't Hold on to Stars - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Get Game 1 Win, Toppling Checkers, 6-0
- Blues Recall G Charlie Lindgren Under Emergency Conditions
- Series Preview: Thunderbirds vs. Checkers
- Thunderbirds to Face Charlotte Checkers in Atlantic Division Finals
- T-Birds Sweep Penguins Behind Wild Comeback Win