Wolf Pack Open Weekend with Trip to Providence to Battle Bruins
HARTFORD, CT - The Hartford Wolf Pack will look to get back into the win column following Wednesday night's heartbreaking overtime loss tonight as they return to action to face the Providence Bruins at the Dunkin's Donuts Center.
Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
Tale of The Tape:
This is the fifth of ten meetings this season between the Wolf Pack and the Bruins. It is also the third of five meetings between the sides at the Dunkin' Donuts Center and the first of two meetings this month. The rivals will meet again in 14 days, on January 28th, at the XL Center in Hartford.
In the last meeting, the Bruins claimed the first regulation victory of the season series, blanking the Wolf Pack by a final score of 4-0 on New Year's Eve. Oskar Steen paced the Bruin attack with three points (1 g, 2 a) on the afternoon, while Jesper Froden scored the eventual winner just 4:57 into the contest. Veteran Troy Grosenick made 17 saves for the shutout victory.
The Wolf Pack are 2-1-1-0 against the Bruins this season, while the Bruins are 2-0-1-1 against the Pack. Both prior meetings in Providence, on November 13th and 19th, were 2-1 overtime decisions split by the clubs.
Wolf Pack Outlook:
The Wolf Pack dropped a 2-1 overtime decision last time out on Wednesday against the Charlotte Checkers. Austin Rueschhoff opened the scoring with his fourth goal of the season 18:56 into the second period, but the Pack couldn't hold off the Checkers in the final frame. Grigori Denisenko tied the tilt at 10:28 of the third period, then won it just 1:52 into overtime. The loss dropped Hartford to 1-2-1-0 in January.
Tanner Fritz leads active Wolf Pack skaters in points with 17 (4 g, 13 a) on the season. Ty Ronning, meanwhile, leads active Wolf Pack skaters in goals with eight.
Defenseman Nils Lundkvist, assigned by the parent New York Rangers on January 11th, made his AHL debut on Wednesday night and scored an assist in the loss. Forward Jacob Hayhurst made his Wolf Pack debut on Wednesday after signing a PTO earlier in the day. The Pack released defenseman Brandon Fortunato from his PTO on Thursday.
The Bruins enter tonight's game with a record of 13-9-3-1 following a 4-3 loss to the Bridgeport Islanders on January 5th. The Bruins jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Samuel Asselin and Froden, but the Islanders would storm back to score four of the game's final five goals for the victory. The Bruins two games last weekend against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms were postponed due to COVID-19 protocols.
Former Wolf Pack forward Steven Fogarty leads active Bruins with 19 points (6 g, 13 a) on the season. Zach Senyshyn leads active skaters in goals with eight. The Bruins lost Steen, their leading scorer, who was recalled by the parent Boston Bruins on January 4th. They did, however, gain goaltender Jeremy Swayman, who was assigned on Wednesday. He'll make his season debut with Providence tonight.
Join us this tomorrow night for 'Decades Night' at the XL Center! We'll be celebrating the top music and pop-culture moments from the 1980's, 1990's, and the 2000's! The first 1,500 fans will also receive a fanny pack thanks to our friends at CM Concessions! Puck drop against the Laval Rocket is set for 7:30 p.m. on Saturday night. Tickets for 'Decades Night' are available at www.hartfordwolfpack.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2022
- Griffins Extend Home Point Streak to Seven Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Suffer Setback in 5-2 Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Earn Point in OT Loss at Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Sandin 2 Goals, Metcalf 39 Saves, Point Streak at 9 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Swaney's Shorthanded Tally Lifts Iowa to 4-3 Victory over Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Despite Barrage of Shots, Penguins Foiled by Phantoms, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Swayman Returns, P-Bruins Score Five Goals to Take Down Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Secure Point But Drop OT Heartbreaker - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Defeat Crunch in Overtime, 4-3 - Utica Comets
- Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Rally, But Iowa Answers - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Fall 5-1 to Bruins in Providence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds Announce Roster Moves - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Panthers Assign Owen Tippett and Aleksi Heponiemi to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Forward Lukas Reichel Becomes 105th IceHogs Alum to Skate with Blackhawks; Fifth to Make NHL Debut this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Assign Three to Wolf Pack, Fortunato Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs Defenseman Jakub Galvas Becomes 104th Alum To Skate With Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Series Preview vs. Ontario: January 14 & 15 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Roadrunners Acquire Stephen Harper - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers vs. Rangers Rookie Series Coming to PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kile Added, Zamula and Millman Return - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kyle Criscuolo Returns to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Blues Recall Joshua, Toropchenko - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Open Weekend with Trip to Providence to Battle Bruins - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blackhawks Send Slavin, Mitchell and Beaudin to IceHogs; McKay Heads to Indy and Lee Released - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Sign Forward Derek Gentile - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Goaltender Kasel to Professional Tryout Contract - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Pascal Laberge to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game #27: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Look to Continue High-Scoring Attack & Open Six-Game Homestand Tonight on $2 Bud Light Friday vs. Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- Two Minutes for Thoughts: January 27th, 2022
- Rangers Recall Brodzinski and Jones to Active Roster, Gettinger, Lundkvist, Pajuniemi and Reunanen to Taxi Squad
- Wolf Pack Use Three Second Period Goals to Knock off T-Birds 5-1
- Wolf Pack Open Three-Game Homestand with Visit from Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Earn Weekend Split Thanks to Late Justin Richards Goal