Westchester Knicks Suffer Fourth Quarter Scorch from Sioux Falls Skyforce
WHITE PLAINS - The Westchester Knicks (16-12), the official NBA Development League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, froze up in the fourth quarter of what was a hot match between the two top teams in the Eastern Conference, falling 128-117 to the Sioux Falls Skyforce (22-4).
The stat lines for Westchester and Sioux Falls were nearly identical in the first quarter, with both teams hitting 12-of-20 and going 2-for-4 from downtown. The Knicks squeaked away with a one-point advantage after the first twelve minutes, sinking one more free throw than the Skyforce.
The teams continued to mostly match shot-for-shot with 11 lead changes in the first half. Though the Knicks outshot the Skyforce 65 percent to 57 percent in the second quarter, eight points off six Westchester turnovers gave Sioux Falls the slight edge and the home team led by four at the half.
Westchester guard Jimmer Fredette had a monster third quarter, hitting 8-of-9 and sinking a pair of shots from beyond the arc for 20 points, half of the team's total points in the quarter. The Skyforce held on though, with a strong 31-point quarter of their own, the game still up for grabs heading into the fourth.
The Skyforce took off on a 17-0 run in the fourth quarter, taking a game-high 12-point lead over the Knicks. Fredette finally made a three to break the streak but the damage was done as Westchester could only muster 14 points in the fourth to Sioux Falls' 30. The top-ranked team in the Eastern Conference took the game with a final score of 128-117.
Jimmer Fredette finished just one point shy of his career-high 37 points with 36 points in the loss. Center Jordan Bachynski found a double-double on the night with 17 points and 11 rebounds, also tallying four blocks. Darion Atkins, Travis Trice II, and Devondrick Walker each supplied 15 points, while Gani Lawal rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 points.
Skyforce guard Bubu Palo scored a team-high 28 points, with six assists, two rebounds, and a steal. Keith Benson and Tre Kelley each finished with 17 points, while Byron Mullins notched a double-double of 15 points and 16 rebounds.
The Westchester Knicks will face the Sioux Falls Skyforce again tomorrow, Jan. 30 for the second game of the back-to-back series with another 8:00 p.m. ET match-up. The game will be broadcast live on MSG Network and on the NBA Development League's YouTube channel.
Tickets for the Westchester Knicks are on sale now at Ticketmaster outlets and the Westchester County Center Box Office. For information on season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets, visit WestchesterKnicks.com or call (914) 559-6889. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @wcknicks on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2016
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Austin Spurs
- Fourth Quarter Run Propels Skyforce to Eleventh Straight Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Suffer Fourth Quarter Scorch from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Westchester Knicks
- Ronald Roberts Jr. records career-high 21 rebounds in win - Raptors 905
- Three-Point Shooting Lifts Red Claws over BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Red Claws Top BayHawks - Maine Red Claws
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Los Angeles D-Fenders - Erie BayHawks
- Elliot Williams Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Santa Cruz Warriors
- D-Fenders Acquire Lazar Hayward and Michael Holyfield in Two Separate Trades - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Acquire Zach Andrews and Two Draft Picks - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Acquire L.D. Williams - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Ronald Roberts Jr. Named to NBA D-League Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Raptors 905
- Fox Sports Southwest to Televise Four Austin Spurs Games - Austin Spurs
- Rakeem Christmas Named to the 2016 NBA D-League All-Start Game - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo Signs 10-Day Contract with New York Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Keith Appling Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Erie BayHawks
- Xavier Munford Named NBA D-League All-Star - Bakersfield Jam
- Alex Stepheson Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Iowa Wolves
- Green and Hunter Selected to 2015 NBA Development League All-Star Game - Reno Bighorns
- Kelley, Liggins and Stokes Selected as NBA D-League All-Stars - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jimmer Fredette Selected to 2016 NBA Development League All-Star Team - Westchester Knicks
- Jordan Mickey Named NBA D-League All-Star - Maine Red Claws
- Blue, Harper Named to NBA Development League All-Star Game - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Sixteen NBA Veterans Headline Rosters for NBA Development League All-Star Game - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Keith Bogans - Westchester Knicks
- Whittington Joins Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Rockets Recall Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels from Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Sign Guard Keith Appling to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Spurs Assign Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Bighorns Outlast the Jam - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Falls Short to Reno 138-135 - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.