Bakersfield Falls Short to Reno 138-135
BAKERSFIELD, CA - The Bakersfield Jam (10-19) fell to the Reno Bighorns (17-10) 138-135 Thursday night at the Dignity Health Event Center. Xavier Munford finished with a game-high 37 points (11/18 FGs; 12/13 FTs) to go along with six rebounds, six assists and two steals.
The game got off to a see-saw battle as there were 11 lead changes in the first period alone. Munford led all scorers with 10 points the first quarter, but the Jam went into the second period trailing 27-26. Bakersfield came out firing in the second quarter and ended up scoring 34 points on 61.9 percent shooting. Renaldo Major (13) and Askia Booker (11) each came off the bench and had double-digit scoring performances in the quarter. The Jam went into the break with a 70-63 lead.
Both teams shot lights out in the third quarter and each poured in 39 points to keep it a seven-point advantage for the Jam (99-92) heading into the fourth period. In the final frame, Reno had an eight-point lead (125-117) at the 1:10 mark, but the Jam battled back to get within a point (136-135) with 02.9 seconds left to play. The Bighorns would knock down clutch free-throws in the ensuing possession to seal their victory. Overall, Reno outscored Bakersfield 46-36 in the final quarter.
The Jam had a big lift from the bench, led by Booker (25 points, 7 rebounds) and Major (20 points, 5 rebounds). Xavier Silas contributed 19 points and Terrico White chipped in 16 points. Derek Cooke Jr. almost notched in a triple-double as he tallied 12 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists.
David Stockton led the Bighorns with 32 points (15/17 FTs) and eight assists, while Vincent Hunter posted 30 points and seven rebounds. Reggie Hearn added 27 points and eight rebounds.
Bakersfield is back in action tomorrow when they host the Santa Cruz Warriors at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2016
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Austin Spurs
- Fourth Quarter Run Propels Skyforce to Eleventh Straight Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Suffer Fourth Quarter Scorch from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Westchester Knicks
- Ronald Roberts Jr. records career-high 21 rebounds in win - Raptors 905
- Three-Point Shooting Lifts Red Claws over BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Red Claws Top BayHawks - Maine Red Claws
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Los Angeles D-Fenders - Erie BayHawks
- Elliot Williams Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Santa Cruz Warriors
- D-Fenders Acquire Lazar Hayward and Michael Holyfield in Two Separate Trades - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Acquire Zach Andrews and Two Draft Picks - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Acquire L.D. Williams - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Ronald Roberts Jr. Named to NBA D-League Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Raptors 905
- Fox Sports Southwest to Televise Four Austin Spurs Games - Austin Spurs
- Rakeem Christmas Named to the 2016 NBA D-League All-Start Game - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo Signs 10-Day Contract with New York Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Keith Appling Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Erie BayHawks
- Xavier Munford Named NBA D-League All-Star - Bakersfield Jam
- Alex Stepheson Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Iowa Wolves
- Green and Hunter Selected to 2015 NBA Development League All-Star Game - Reno Bighorns
- Kelley, Liggins and Stokes Selected as NBA D-League All-Stars - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jimmer Fredette Selected to 2016 NBA Development League All-Star Team - Westchester Knicks
- Jordan Mickey Named NBA D-League All-Star - Maine Red Claws
- Blue, Harper Named to NBA Development League All-Star Game - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Sixteen NBA Veterans Headline Rosters for NBA Development League All-Star Game - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Keith Bogans - Westchester Knicks
- Whittington Joins Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Rockets Recall Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels from Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Sign Guard Keith Appling to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Spurs Assign Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Bighorns Outlast the Jam - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Falls Short to Reno 138-135 - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.