Three-Point Shooting Lifts Red Claws over BayHawks
Erie, Pennsylvania, January 29 - The BayHawks fell to the Maine Red Claws 90-102 this evening at Erie insurance Arena.
Omari Johnson opened the game with the hot hand by hitting three three-pointers in the first four minutes of the game to propel the Red Claws to a quick 16-7 lead. The BayHawks responded with a 11-4 run behind two Melvin Ejim steals that led to two easy transition buckets. The score was evened with a little over two minutes left in the first but Coty Clarke hit his second three-pointer in the quarter to get it 28-31 to close. Maine shot 55% from behind the arc in the first.
The Red Claws opened the second quarter with three three-pointers and an Andre Stringer layup to pull the score out to 31-44, forcing a Bill Peterson timeout with 8:29 remaining. The hot shooting continued after the timeout with Clarke and Coron Williams each hitting a three-pointer of their own.
Maine shot 50% from three and 55% from the field to help them out to a 46-58 to close the first half compared to Erie's 29% shooting from three and 45% from the field. Johnson went four of seven from behind the arc to finish the half with 12 points. Levi Randolph hit six of his nine shots for a game-high 14 points going into the half. Adreian Payne put up a team-high 10 points for the BayHawks.
The BayHawks opened the second half with a 12-4 run behind six Adreian Payne points but Johnson knocked down two more three-pointers to end the run and extend the lead back out to 66-72. Maine cooled off only slightly from three, falling to 49%. Nnanna Egwu found success on a couple of hook shots to notch 10 points in the quarter and get the score to 71-74.
The BayHawks completed the comeback with 7:51 left in the fourth when Payne was fouled going up for a layup. The shot fell and Payne hit the free throw to get the score to 82-79. The Red Claws responded with 10-2 run to regain the lead and force another BayHawks timeout after getting the score back out to 95-86 with 2:51 remaining in the game.
Stringer hit another Red Claws three-pointer with 1:32 left and Berry had an easy transition layup off a missed Jordan Sibert three-pointer to seal the game for Maine.
Levi Randolph led the Red Claws with 21 points and six rebounds. Johnson had seven three-pointers to account for all 21 of his points. Clarke added 18 points and eight rebounds. Maine shot 51% from the field and 45% from behind the arc as a team.
Payne had a game-high 27 points and 10 rebounds to post his first double-double with the BayHawks. Egwu posted 18 points to go with six rebounds and four blocks. Erie only knocked down two of their sixteen shots from behind the arc.
The BayHawks are back in action tomorrow night for Mascot Mania with tip-off at 7pm against the Raptors 905. Tickets are available at www.eriebayhawks.com/mascotmania.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2016
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Austin Spurs
- Fourth Quarter Run Propels Skyforce to Eleventh Straight Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Suffer Fourth Quarter Scorch from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Westchester Knicks
- Ronald Roberts Jr. records career-high 21 rebounds in win - Raptors 905
- Three-Point Shooting Lifts Red Claws over BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Red Claws Top BayHawks - Maine Red Claws
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Los Angeles D-Fenders - Erie BayHawks
- Elliot Williams Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Santa Cruz Warriors
- D-Fenders Acquire Lazar Hayward and Michael Holyfield in Two Separate Trades - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Acquire Zach Andrews and Two Draft Picks - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Acquire L.D. Williams - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Ronald Roberts Jr. Named to NBA D-League Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Raptors 905
- Fox Sports Southwest to Televise Four Austin Spurs Games - Austin Spurs
- Rakeem Christmas Named to the 2016 NBA D-League All-Start Game - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo Signs 10-Day Contract with New York Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Keith Appling Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Erie BayHawks
- Xavier Munford Named NBA D-League All-Star - Bakersfield Jam
- Alex Stepheson Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Iowa Wolves
- Green and Hunter Selected to 2015 NBA Development League All-Star Game - Reno Bighorns
- Kelley, Liggins and Stokes Selected as NBA D-League All-Stars - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jimmer Fredette Selected to 2016 NBA Development League All-Star Team - Westchester Knicks
- Jordan Mickey Named NBA D-League All-Star - Maine Red Claws
- Blue, Harper Named to NBA Development League All-Star Game - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Sixteen NBA Veterans Headline Rosters for NBA Development League All-Star Game - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Keith Bogans - Westchester Knicks
- Whittington Joins Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Rockets Recall Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels from Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Sign Guard Keith Appling to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Spurs Assign Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Bighorns Outlast the Jam - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Falls Short to Reno 138-135 - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.