Alex Stepheson Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star
Des Moines, Iowa. - The NBA D-League announced today Iowa Energy center Alex Stepheson has been named a 2016 NBA D-League All-Star. Stepheson will play for the Eastern Conference All-Star team.
Stepheson (6-10, 249) leads the league in rebounding with 13.3 rebounds per game. The USC product also leads the lead in double-doubles with 21, including 18 of the last 19 games. Stepheson has started all 26 games for the Energy and has posted averages of 15.7 points, 13.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 34.3 minutes.
Below is the NBA D-League's Release:
NEW YORK, Jan. 29, 2016 - Twenty-four top NBA Development League prospects, including 16 with NBA experience, have been selected to play in the 10th NBA D-League All-Star Game presented by Kumho Tire. The game, which tips off at 2 p.m. ET at Toronto's Ricoh Coliseum on Saturday, Feb. 13, will air live on NBA TV and NBA TV Canada.
Eight current NBA players highlight the rosters of the Eastern and Western Conference teams, with the East squad boasting Keith Appling (Erie/Orlando), Rakeem Christmas (Fort Wayne/Indiana), Sean Kilpatrick (Delaware/Denver), Jordan McRae (Delaware), Jordan Mickey (Maine/Boston) and Jarnell Stokes (Sioux Falls/Miami). West All-Stars Jeff Ayres (Idaho/L.A. Clippers) and Erick Green (Reno/Utah) complete the list.
Four additional players with NBA experience join the East ranks: Lorenzo Brown (Grand Rapids), Jimmer Fredette (Westchester), DeAndre Liggins (Sioux Falls) and Ronald Roberts, Jr. (Raptors). An additional four such players are featured on the West team: Vander Blue (Los Angeles), Justin Harper (Los Angeles), Orlando Johnson (Austin) and Elliot Williams (Santa Cruz).
The East is rounded out by Tre Kelley (Sioux Falls) and Alex Stepheson (Iowa), while the West's roster is completed with Brandon Ashley (Texas), Will Cummings (Rio Grande Valley), Micheal Eric (Texas), Vincent Hunter (Reno), Xavier Munford (Bakersfield) and Raphiael Putney (Rio Grande Valley).
All 10 of the NBA D-League's top scorers were selected as All-Stars, with Williams averaging a league-best 29.7 points and Kilpatrick (27.1 ppg) and Green (26.7 ppg) ranking second and third, respectively. The league's top three rebounders will also be suiting up as All-Stars in Toronto: Stepheson (13.3 rpg), Roberts (12.2 rpg) and Hunter (11.0rpg).
The 2016 NBA D-League All-Stars were selected by a vote of the league's 19 head coaches. Players were eligible to be selected if they competed in at least half of their team's games through Jan. 24. They must be on an active NBA D-League roster at the time of the All-Star Game in order to compete. The league will replace any ineligible players prior to the game.
The Western Conference All-Stars will be coached by Austin Spurs head coach Ken McDonald and his staff, while the Eastern Conference All-Star squad will be led by Sioux Falls Skyforce head coach Dan Craig and his assistants.
NBA D-League All-Star 2016 gets underway with a pregame Three-Point Contest featuring six of the league's premier long-range shooters. Six acrobatic dunkers will compete in NBA D-League Slam Dunk presented by Verizon during the All-Star Game's halftime break.
The 2016 NBA D-League All-Star teams are below.
EASTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STARS
Player (Team) Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College/Country
Keith Appling (Erie)* G 6-1 190 2/13/1992 Michigan State/USA
Lorenzo Brown (Grand Rapids) G 6-5 189 8/26/1990 North Carolina St./USA
Rakeem Christmas (Fort Wayne)* C 6-10 239 12/1/1991 Syracuse/USA
Jimmer Fredette (Westchester) G 6-2 195 2/25/1989 Brigham Young/USA
Tre Kelley (Sioux Falls) G 6-0 187 1/23/1985 South Carolina/USA
Sean Kilpatrick (Delaware)* G 6-4 219 1/6/1990 Cincinnati/USA
DeAndre Liggins (Sioux Falls) F 6-6 204 3/31/1988 Kentucky/USA
Jordan McRae (Delaware)* G 6-5 179 3/28/1991 Tennessee/USA
Jordan Mickey (Maine)* F 6-8 235 7/9/1994 Louisiana State/USA
Ronald Roberts Jr. (Raptors) F 6-8 225 8/5/1991 St. Josephs/USA
Alex Stepheson (Iowa) C 6-10 249 8/7/1987 Southern California/USA
Jarnell Stokes (Sioux Falls)* F 6-7 250 1/7/1994 Tennessee/USA
Head Coach: Ken McDonald (Austin)
Assistant Coaches: AJ Diggs (Austin), Patrick Mutombo (Austin)
Athletic Trainers: Keith Abrams (Austin)
WESTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STARS
Player (Team) Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College/Country
Brandon Ashley (Texas) F 6-8 228 7/15/1994 Arizona/USA
Jeff Ayres (Idaho)* C 6-10 240 4/29/1987 Arizona State/USA
Vander Blue (Los Angeles) G 6-4 200 7/22/1992 Marquette/USA
Will Cummings (Rio Grande Valley) G 6-2 185 10/7/1992 Temple/USA
Micheal Eric (Texas) C 6-10 240 6/24/1988 Temple/USA
Erick Green (Reno)* G 6-3 178 8/5/1994 Virginia Tech/USA
Justin Harper (Los Angeles) F 6-10 225 8/30/1989 Richmond/USA
Vincent Hunter (Reno) F 6-8 208 5/9/1991 Texas-El Paso/USA
Orlando Johnson (Austin) G 6-5 220 3/11/1989 UC Santa Barbara/USA
Xavier Munford (Bakersfield) G 6-5 180 6/1/1992 Rhode Island/USA
Raphiael Putney (Rio Grande Valley) F 6-10 185 4/21/1990 Massachusetts/USA
Elliot Williams (Santa Cruz) G 6-5 183 6/20/1989 Memphis/USA
Head Coach: Dan Craig (Sioux Falls)
Assistant Coaches: Octavio De La Grana (Sioux Falls), Corey Belser (Sioux Falls)
Athletic Trainer: Dustin Schramm (Sioux Falls)
* - Indicates a player currently in the NBA
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2016
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs Edge Idaho Stampede, 93-85 - Austin Spurs
- Fourth Quarter Run Propels Skyforce to Eleventh Straight Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Suffer Fourth Quarter Scorch from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Westchester Knicks
- Ronald Roberts Jr. records career-high 21 rebounds in win - Raptors 905
- Three-Point Shooting Lifts Red Claws over BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Red Claws Top BayHawks - Maine Red Claws
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Los Angeles D-Fenders - Erie BayHawks
- Elliot Williams Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Santa Cruz Warriors
- D-Fenders Acquire Lazar Hayward and Michael Holyfield in Two Separate Trades - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Acquire Zach Andrews and Two Draft Picks - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Acquire L.D. Williams - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Ronald Roberts Jr. Named to NBA D-League Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Raptors 905
- Fox Sports Southwest to Televise Four Austin Spurs Games - Austin Spurs
- Rakeem Christmas Named to the 2016 NBA D-League All-Start Game - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo Signs 10-Day Contract with New York Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Keith Appling Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Erie BayHawks
- Xavier Munford Named NBA D-League All-Star - Bakersfield Jam
- Alex Stepheson Named 2016 NBA D-League All-Star - Iowa Wolves
- Green and Hunter Selected to 2015 NBA Development League All-Star Game - Reno Bighorns
- Kelley, Liggins and Stokes Selected as NBA D-League All-Stars - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jimmer Fredette Selected to 2016 NBA Development League All-Star Team - Westchester Knicks
- Jordan Mickey Named NBA D-League All-Star - Maine Red Claws
- Blue, Harper Named to NBA Development League All-Star Game - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Sixteen NBA Veterans Headline Rosters for NBA Development League All-Star Game - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Keith Bogans - Westchester Knicks
- Whittington Joins Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Rockets Recall Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels from Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Sign Guard Keith Appling to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Spurs Assign Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Bighorns Outlast the Jam - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Falls Short to Reno 138-135 - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 26 Three-Pointers Made in Blowout Win over Lakers
- Wolves Acquire Brandone Francis and Jaylen Johnson
- Timberwolves Assign Naz Reid to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves
- Timberwolves Recall NAZ Reid from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves
- Timberwolves Assignees Shine in Wolves Loss to Legends