Jam Come up Short in Regular Season Finale
RENO, NV - The Bakersfield Jam (22-28) fell to the Reno Bighorns (33-17) 133-127 Saturday night at the Reno Events Center. Deonte Burton led the Jam with 24 points and eight rebounds.
Xavier Silas paced the Jam in the opening period, scoring 13 points and helping the Jam to a 33-30 lead after one quarter of play. In the second frame the Jam put up 41 points on 56.8 percent shooting, led by Renaldo Major's 12-point quarter performance. The Jam would go into the half with a 74-67 advantage.
The Jam would open the second half on a 6-2 run before the Bighorns would respond with an 11-4 run making it a two-point game at the seven minute mark. The Jam would have a 17-point lead over the Bighorns with five minutes on the clock, giving the Jam their biggest lead of the night. The Bighorns would go on an 8-2 run at the end of the quarter making it a 103-101 Jam lead at the end of the third.
The fourth quarter was a tightly contested battle, with five ties and five lead changes. Down three points (130-127) with 27 seconds left in the game, Bakersfield missed a three-pointer that would have tied the game. On the ensuing possession, Reno would knock down key free-throws that ultimately sealed the game.
For the second consecutive night, the Jam had six players scoring in double-figures. In addition to Burton, Silas (23), Major (21) and Askia Booker (21) all hit the 20-point scoring mark. Derek Cooke Jr. tallied 14 points and Kyle Casey had 12 points.
The Bighorns were led by Kadeem Jack (28 points, 11 rebounds) and Akeem Richmond (27 points). Ricky Ledo added 19 points.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 3, 2016
- Jazz Recall Tibor Pleiss from Idaho Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Bighorns First Round Playoff Schedule Announced - Reno Bighorns
- Southwest Division Champion Austin Spurs to Begin Playoffs in Rio Grande Valley on April 5 - Austin Spurs
- D-Fenders Playoff Schedule Set - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Western Conference Semifinals Schedule Set - G League
- Jam Come up Short in Regular Season Finale - Bakersfield Jam
- Dawkins Posts 25 in Legends' Loss to Spurs - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Defeat the Jam in Final Regular Season Game - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.