Weekly #2: Boyd Leads Charge as Bears Head to Canada
(Hershey) - The Hershey Bears enjoyed a breakout set of games last weekend, earning a pair of victories to move the team's record to 2-1-1-0 on the new season. The Chocolate and White now hit the road to skate in three games in Canada, battling the Toronto Marlies on Wednesday, the Belleville Senators on Friday, and visiting former teammate Riley Barber and the Laval Rocket on Saturday.
Hershey opened last weekend with a come-from-behind, 4-3 overtime victory at Lehigh Valley. Hershey never led in the contest and posted three different one-goal comebacks. Beck Malenstyn scored shorthanded in the first period and Mike Sgarbossa added a power play goal to even the score at 2-2. In the third frame, Travis Boyd tied the game at 3-3 for Hershey, and then won the game on the power play with just one second remaining in overtime. Vitek Vanecek earned the win in goal for Hershey with 23 saves.
On Sunday, the Bears earned another Atlantic Division victory, routing the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 5-1 at Giant Center. Hershey scored the game's first five goals, and Travis Boyd tallied twice in the win. Hershey went 2-for-6 on the power play, and Matt Moulson finished the game with a goal and an assist. Defender Martin Fehervary also factored in on the scoring, striking for his first AHL goal in just his second career AHL game.
-Wednesday, Oct. 16 at Toronto, 7 p.m.
-Friday, Oct. 18 at Belleville, 7 p.m.
-Saturday, Oct. 19 at Laval, 7 p.m.
The Bears are committed to giving back to the local community. On Monday, Oct. 21, members of the Bears and team mascot, Coco, will help distribute military tickets to the Lebanon VA for Hometown Heroes Night from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Also that evening, three members of the Bears will appear on the Old Barn Hockey LIVE Show at The Bears' Den at the Hershey Lodge from 7-8 p.m.
TRAVIS ON A TEAR: Hershey forward Travis Boyd is off to a fantastic start to the season. Boyd collected back-to-back three-point performances last weekend, scoring two goals and an assist in each of Hershey's win. For his six-point weekend, Boyd was named the CCM Hockey/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 13. The Hopkins, Minnesota native has scored on all four shots he's taken this season and is currently tied for the league lead in goals (4) and points (6). The 2017 AHL All-Star had never posted back-to-back multi-goal performances until this past weekend.
SGARBOSSA STREAKING: Center Mike Sgarbossa has picked up right where he left off last season. The forward is off to the best start of his career, collecting points in all four of Hershey's games this season, scoring a goal in three straight contests. He enters the week tied for the league lead in points with six, tallying three goals and three assists. Sgarbossa paced the Bears last season with 65 points, including the first 30-goal season of his professional career.
DJOOSY DJOOS: Defender Christian Djoos enters the week tied for the league lead in points among defenseman with five (one goal, four assists). He has posted two consecutive two-assist contests. All four of Djoos' assists this season have come on the power play. The former 58-point scorer with the Bears has skated in 135 career games with the Chocolate and White, scoring 86 points (22 goals, 64 assists).
SHORTHANDED SUCCESS: The Bears have scored shorthanded goals in back-to-back games. Hershey, as well as the Springfield Thunderbirds, are the only teams in the AHL with two shorthanded goals on the young season. During the 2018-19 campaign, the Bears scored just three shorthanded goals, and it took them until Jan. 19 last season to tally their second shorthanded marker.
TAMING TORONTO: The Bears head to Canada having won four straight regular season games in Toronto. Hershey's lost loss to the Marlies north of the border came on Feb. 16, 2013 when Toronto earned a 2-1 win. Hershey's win streak started with a victory at the Coca-Cola Coliseum on Feb. 26, 2016 when Dustin Gazley tallied the game-winning goal in a 5-2 victory. Last season, Hershey earned a 3-0 victory in Toronto thanks to a 17-save shutout from Ilya Samsonov. The Bears have enjoyed playoff success in Toronto, closing out a five-game series victory in the 2016 Eastern Conference Finals at the Coca-Cola Coliseum on May 29, 2016.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2019
- T.J. Brennan Reflects on 700 Pro Games and Rekindled Love for Hockey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for the 2019-20 Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 19 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lundestrom Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Watch Party this Saturday - Ontario Reign
- Weekly #2: Boyd Leads Charge as Bears Head to Canada - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Announce Player Moves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Detroit Returns Svechnikov to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Announce 2019-20 Broadcast Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- San Diego Gulls Launch The Colony, the Official Fan and Booster Club of the Team - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Launch Fifth Annual "Share the Warmth" Campaign - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flyers Loan Defenseman Andy Welinski to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Moose Release Fejes and Nault - Manitoba Moose
- Canucks Recall Ashton Sautner - Utica Comets
- Heat Host Condors in Anniversary Celebration Game - Stockton Heat
- Michael McCarron Named Alternate Captain of the Laval Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Teddy Bear Toss 3-Pack on Sale Now - Bakersfield Condors
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend
- Hershey's March 20 Game at Lehigh Valley Added to TV Schedule
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina
- Bears Comeback Late, Fall in Shootout to Bruins