Utah Falls 5-2 in Preseason Opener
Boise, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 in Friday night preseason action at Idaho Central Arena.
Idaho took a 3-0 lead behind 1 goal from Colby McAuley and 2 goals from Matt Tugnutt. Luke Martin scored both of Utah's goals. The first one coming 7:07 into the second period and the second on a power play goal 9:54 into the second. Quinn Ryan assisted on both of Martin's goals. Idaho added a power play goal with 1:05 left in the second as Luc Brown scored. Will Merchant added an empty netter with 1:15 left in regulation as the Steelheads won their first game since March 7, 2020.
Goaltender Peyton Jones started the game for Utah in net and saved 9 of 12. Garrett Metcalf followed him and saved 15 of 16. Utah went 1 for 2 on the power play while Idaho went 2 for 4.
Same teams will meet at the Ogden Ice Sheet on Saturday night at 7:15 pm. The Grizzlies and Steelheads will begin the regular season with a 3 game series. They open on Friday, October 22nd at Idaho Central Arena at 7:10 pm. The Grizz home opener is on Saturday, October 23rd at 7:10 pm and the series concludes with a 1:10 pm Sunday afternoon affair on the 24th of October. Tickets for every regular season and playoff game are available at utahgrizzlies.com.
1. Colby McAuley (Idaho) - Gordie Howe Hat Trick.
2. Matt Tugnutt (Idaho) - 2 goals, +3.
3. Luke Martin (Utah) - 2 goals.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2021
- Oilers Take Second Preseason Tilt in OT, 3-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Royals End Preseason with 4-2 Win over Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Garreffa Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 5-2 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Top Anyang Halla in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Split Preseason Series in 5-2 Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Storms Past Cincinnati to Finish Preseason with a Win - Indy Fuel
- Drew Callin Scores for Second Straight Night But Railers Fall 3-1 to the Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Split Preseason Series with Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Acquires Ross from Norfolk - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades: October 16, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Erkamps Assigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - October 16 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Amir Miftakhov Recalled to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators to Take on Anyang Halla in Atlanta Hockey Showcase 2021 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Welcome Solar Bears Again in Saturday Night Preseason Action - Florida Everblades
- Royals Close Preseason with First Home Game in 587 Days - Reading Royals
- Utah Falls 5-2 in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Down Grizzlies 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.