Steelheads Strike Early, Take Down Grizzlies 5-2
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (1-0-0) struck early and held the lead throughout, opening the preseason with a 5-2 win over the Utah Grizzlies (0-1-0) on Friday night from Idaho Central Arena.
THE GAME'S STORY
The Steelheads wasted no time in getting out to a lead thanks to forward Colby McAuley (3:44 1st) to take the early 1-0 lead. Steelheads newcomer Matt Tugnutt (15:02 1st; PP, 4:35 2nd) notched back-to-back goals crossing through the period break to triple the advantage, 3-0, before the Grizzlies answered. Defenseman Luke Martin (7:07 2nd; PP, 9:54 2nd) single-handedly brought the road side within one, 3-2. Steelheads defenseman Luc Brown (PP, 18:55 2nd) added one insurance goal, and forward Will Merchant (EN, 18:45 3rd) sealed off the night and the 5-2 win.
- Matt Tugnutt: Tugnutt scored two goals in his preseason debut and earned a plus-three rating, leading the team in both categories.
- Colby McAuley: McAuley began the scoring and notched a Gordie Howe hat-trick, adding a fight in the first period and an assist in the second frame.
- Matt Jurusik: Jurusik earned the win, playing the first two periods and halting 20 of 22 shots in his preseason debut. Kris Oldham would relieve him with an 11-for-11 effort in the third period.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads broke a four-game streak of the road team winning preseason games dating back to the 2018-19 season. The Steelheads have won 13 of 23 preseason meetings since the series began in 2009. The last home team to win was the Steelheads in 2017, the same year the Steelheads won both preseason games.
BECAUSE IDAHO SCORED FOUR...
All fans in attendance can pick up a free Jumbo Jack at any Jack in the Box location in the Boise area. Just show your ticket stub at the casher to redeem.
The Steelheads finish their preseason weekend against the Grizzlies on Saturday, Oct. 16 at 7:15 p.m. from the Weber County Ice Sheet in Ogden, Utah. Follow the game on Twitter (@Steelheads) for updates and scores.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2021
- Oilers Take Second Preseason Tilt in OT, 3-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Royals End Preseason with 4-2 Win over Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Garreffa Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 5-2 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Top Anyang Halla in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Split Preseason Series in 5-2 Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Storms Past Cincinnati to Finish Preseason with a Win - Indy Fuel
- Drew Callin Scores for Second Straight Night But Railers Fall 3-1 to the Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Split Preseason Series with Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Acquires Ross from Norfolk - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades: October 16, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Erkamps Assigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - October 16 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Amir Miftakhov Recalled to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators to Take on Anyang Halla in Atlanta Hockey Showcase 2021 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Welcome Solar Bears Again in Saturday Night Preseason Action - Florida Everblades
- Royals Close Preseason with First Home Game in 587 Days - Reading Royals
- Utah Falls 5-2 in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Down Grizzlies 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Soar over Americans, 4-2, in Third-Straight Sellout
- Defenseman Evan Wardley Returns to Steelheads from Syracuse
- Thanksgiving Week Presents Feast of Steelheads Home Hockey
- Steelheads Weekly - November 22, 2021
- Late Scoring Comes Short in 2-1 Loss to Adirondack