Everblades Split Preseason Series in 5-2 Loss to Solar Bears
ESTERO, Fla. - After a 4-1 Everblades victory on Friday night, the Orlando Solar Bears found redemption in Saturday's preseason finale with a 5-2 final score at Hertz Arena.
The first period featured no scoring with each team seeing their fair share of opportunities around the net. The Solar Bears led 12-9 in shots on goal after twenty minutes.
Heading into the second period, Orlando raced out of the locker room to score their first goal at the 1:38 mark. With traffic building in the slot, Dylan Fitze scooped up the loose puck and blasted it over the shoulder of Everblades goaltender Tomas Vomacka. Jake McGrew and Kyle Topping earned assists as the Solar Bears went up 1-0.
Blake Winiecki earned the equalizing goal for the Everblades to tie the game at 12:17 of period two. John McCarron launched a slapshot off the back wall, landing in front of the net where an uncontested Winiecki potted his second goal of the preseason. The Solar Bears responded with two more strikes as Fabrizio Ricci and Joseph Garreffa each added their name to the score sheet, putting Orlando into the second intermission with a 3-1 edge.
The Everblades' woes spilled into the third period with a difficult bounce from Orlando's Joseph Magreffa trickling into the net after 96 seconds. John McCarron snapped in a pointblank goal four minutes later, but it wasn't enough to spark a comeback as Orlando's Chad Duchesne hit an empty net to secure a 5-2 Solar Bears win.
The Everblades now look forward to their season opener on Saturday, October 23 when they host the Jacksonville Icemen at Hertz Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2021
- Oilers Take Second Preseason Tilt in OT, 3-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Royals End Preseason with 4-2 Win over Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Garreffa Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 5-2 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Top Anyang Halla in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Split Preseason Series in 5-2 Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Storms Past Cincinnati to Finish Preseason with a Win - Indy Fuel
- Drew Callin Scores for Second Straight Night But Railers Fall 3-1 to the Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Split Preseason Series with Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Acquires Ross from Norfolk - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades: October 16, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Erkamps Assigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - October 16 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Amir Miftakhov Recalled to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators to Take on Anyang Halla in Atlanta Hockey Showcase 2021 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Welcome Solar Bears Again in Saturday Night Preseason Action - Florida Everblades
- Royals Close Preseason with First Home Game in 587 Days - Reading Royals
- Utah Falls 5-2 in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Down Grizzlies 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Trois Rivières to Visit Hertz Arena for First Time Wednesday
- Everblades to Hold Skunk Ape Jersey Auction
- Everblades Welcome Trois Rivières to Hertz Arena for First Time Ever
- Aleardi's Two Goal Performance Melts Icemen in 3-1 Win
- Florida Looks to Close Jacksonville Series with a Win