Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union, in conjunction with U.S. Soccer, announced today that Brenden Aaronson and Mark McKenzie have been called up to the United States Men's National Team for a friendly match vs. El Salvador in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on December 9. This follows the Philadelphia Union's historic 2020 season and Supporters' Shield victory, the first trophy for the club, in which Aaronson and McKenzie were both regular starters and contributors.
The pair, both named to the 2020 MLS Best XI team, were most recently selected to the final roster for the Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico last March, that was subsequently postponed due to health and safety reasons.
Aaronson joins the national team after being called in to the U.S. Men's National Team January camp in Bradenton, Florida where he earned his first cap in a friendly against Costa Rica. Aaronson featured in the starting XI and played for 66 minutes in the 1-0 victory. He received his first call-up to the senior National Team on Oct 2, ahead of a pair of Nations League matches against Cuba on Oct. 11 (7-0 W) and Canada on Oct. 15 (2-0 L).
In 2019 he was called up by the U.S. U-23 squad for the United International Football Festival, where they placed third overall after defeating United Gran Canaria. Previously, he was called in to the U-23's from Sept. 1-10 as part of training camp ahead of the 2020 Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Championship. As the second youngest player on the team, Aaronson started the friendly against Japan (Sept. 9), adding an assist in a 2-0 victory. Aaronson signed with Red Bull Salzburg in October in a historic transfer agreement and the first European transfer for the Union. He will join the club for the 2021 season.
McKenzie, coming off a landmark season with the Union where he was named a finalist for Defender of the Year and named to MLS Best XI, also attended the senior team January Camp in Bradenton where he earned his first cap in the friendly against Costa Rica (Feb.1), playing 28 minutes after coming on as a sub in the 1-0 victory. He received his first senior team call-up to the 2019 January camp. Last November he joined Aaronson for the United International Football Festival, where he earned the start against Brazil. Taking part in the U-23 camp in Miami, Florida, held last October, McKenzie started in what was a 6-1 victory for the U.S in a friendly against El Salvador. In May he was named captain of the U-20 squad during the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland, a tournament the U.S. finished as quarterfinalists.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Subaru of America and Philadelphia Union Announce Subaru Park Has Achieved Zero Landfill Status
- Kacper Przybylko scores 11th of the season; Union take second place in the Eastern Conference
- Daniel Gazdag bags a brace as Union face tough road defeat
- Kai Wagner scores third goal of the season; Union remain unbeaten in their last six matches
- Paxten Aaronson scores second goal of the season as homegrown stars shine