Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Soccer Club in conjunction with the U.S. Soccer Federation announced today that 2020 Major League Soccer Defender of the Year and Best XI center back Walker Zimmerman will join the U.S. Men's National Team for its upcoming camp in South Florida through Dec. 10.
Zimmerman will join the U.S. MNT today as they prepare to take on El Salvador on Dec. 9 at Inter Miami CF Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. with kick off slated for 6:30 p.m. CT.
The 27-year old center back has earned 12 caps and two goals with the U.S. MNT. His last appearance for the Stars and Stripes came on Feb. 1, 2020 in a 1-0 shutout win over Costa Rica. In the last six matches that Zimmerman has played the full 90 minutes for the USMNT, Zimmerman has posted six consecutive shutouts, three of them during the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Zimmerman is coming off a groundbreaking campaign in Nashville's inaugural MLS season, as he helped guide the Boys in Gold to a historic year. Nashville became only the second expansion club in MLS history to reach the Conference Semifinals in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs in their inaugural year.
Zimmerman guided Nashville to two Audi MLS Cup Playoff victories, becoming the first expansion team since the 1998 Chicago Fire to win a playoff match in their expansion year. Zimmerman anchored the Nashville backline to a 309-minute playoff shutout streak, which set a new MLS record for most minutes played without allowing a goal in the playoffs.
In its inaugural season, Zimmerman and Nashville posted a goal-against average of 0.96 goals per game, the best of any expansion club in league history, and tied for the league-lead with nine clean sheets this season. The club allowed 22 goals this season, third fewest in the league, and only two goals more than the league leaders.
The MLS Best XI selection was a force on both sides of the ball. Offensively, Zimmerman scored three goals and registered one assist in 22 starts this season. Zimmerman scored the first goal in Nashville history on Feb. 29 in the club's inaugural match. The 27-year-old U.S. Men's National Team regular led MLS with 69 headed clearances, while his 64 aerials won were tied for sixth-most.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville Soccer Club Kicks off Five-Match Homestand with Thrilling Late Match Winner
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases Renderings and New Details for Century Farms Training Complex
- Nashville SC Recalls Defender Jack Maher from San Diego Loyal SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns Home to Face Toronto FCÃÂ
- Nashville SC's First Pre-Match Party of the Summer Is this Wednesday at Hard Rock Cafe