Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
Three Colorado Rapids players were called up for the US men's national team December camp on Monday.
USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter called up Rapids midfielders Cole Bassett and Kellyn Acosta and defender Sam Vines for the last friendly of 2020, against El Salvador, on Wednesday, December 9, at 9:30 PM MT at Inter Miami CF Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Click here for more info on USMNT vs El Salvador
Acosta, 25, has scored two goals in 23 senior international appearances for the US, and was on the 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup championship squad. The Plano, Texas, native excelled in his third season with Colorado, making 15 starts among 16 regular and postseason appearances and notching two goals and an assist. Acosta scored Colorado's playoff-clinching goal, the game-winner on November 4 at Portland.
Bassett enjoyed an excellent year with Colorado and will be making his first appearance at a US senior camp with an opportunity to earn his first senior international cap. The 19-year-old Homegrown posted a team-leading five goals and five assists with Colorado in 2020, both career highs. Bassett has scored four goals in four appearances for the US U-20s, including a brace in a 2-1 win over Mexico on January 16, 2020.
Vines, a 21-year-old Homegrown defender from Colorado Springs, earned his second USMNT call. Vines was called up to Berhalter's January camp and became the first Rapids Homegrown and Rapids Development Academy product to start a match for the USMNT, playing 77 minutes in the Americans' 1-0 win over Costa Rica on February 1. Vines had a stand-out year for Colorado, posting a goal and three assists while playing every minute during the regular season - the only Rapids player to do so in 2020.
Bassett and Vines were both named to MLS 22 Under 22 for the second consecutive year.
With a busy international schedule in 2021, the Rapids' trio could see plenty of action for the Stars and Stripes. In addition to Nations League, the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifying, the US U-23s also hope to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, which were rescheduled for next year. U-23 MNT coach Jason Kreis will be on Berhalter's staff in December.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers
- Week 24: Michael Barrios Named to Team of the Week Again