D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions
D.C. United have announced their year-end roster decisions ahead of the 2021 Major League Soccer (MLS) season. A total of 15 players are under contract for 2021 and the club has exercised contract options on Joseph Mora, JÃºnior Moreno, Yordy Reyna, and Ulises Segura, as well as made a bonafide offer to Chris Odoi-Atsem.
The club has declined 2021 contract options on Mohammed Abu, Earl Edwards, Jr., Oniel Fisher, Felipe Martins, Gelmin Rivas, and Axel SjÃ¶berg.
"As a club, we are looking forward to the 2021 season with a solid core of returning players to turn things around from a challenging year in 2020," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "We have experienced professional players combined with a terrific core of young Homegrown talent, and we expect to make some important additions to the roster in the off-season. We want to thank the players who will no longer be with the club for their commitment and service to the Black-and-Red. We wish them the best of luck in the next chapters of their career."
D.C. United's current year-end roster decisions have been characterized into four categories:
Players Under Contract (15): Paul Arriola, Yamil Asad, Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brilliant, Russell Canouse, Edison Flores, Jacob Greene, Julian Gressel, Bill Hamid, Ola Kamara, Moses Nyeman, Kevin Paredes, Donovan Pines, Erik Sorga, Griffin Yow
Players Out of Contract (2): Chris Odoi-Atsem, Chris Seitz
Players with Option Exercised (4): Joseph Mora, JÃºnior Moreno, Yordy Reyna, Ulises Segura
Player Receiving Bonafide Offer (1): Chris Odoi-Atsem
Players with Option Declined (6): Mohammed Abu, Earl Edwards, Jr., Oniel Fisher, Felipe Martins, Gelmin Rivas, Axel SjÃ¶berg
*D.C. United are currently in discussions with a number of players about extending their futures with the Black-and-Red.
D.C. United's current roster ahead of 2021, listed by position below:
Goalkeepers (1): Bill Hamid
Defenders (5): Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brillant, Jacob Greene, Joseph Mora, Donovan Pines
Midfielders (10): Paul Arriola, Yamil Asad, Russell Canouse, Edison Flores, Julian Gressel, JÃºnior Moreno, Moses Nyeman, Kevin Paredes, Ulises Segura, Griffin Yow
Forwards (3): Ola Kamara, Yordy Reyna, Erik Sorga
The MLS offseason officially begins Sunday, December 13 at 9:00 a.m. with the Half-Day Trade Window. The MLS Expansion Draft is set for Tuesday, December 15 and End-of-Year Waivers and MLS Free Agency will open Wednesday, December 16.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Nominees for 2021 MLS Year-End Awards Announced
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against New York Red Bulls at Audi Field
- D.C. United and Audi Continue Shared Commitment to Sustainability with First-Of-Its-Kind Theme Match at Audi Field on October 27
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to New England Revolution at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against Nashville SC at Audi Field