Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves
Toronto FC announced today the following roster moves:
Toronto FC has exercised the contract options on goalkeeper Kevin Silva, defender Julian Dunn, midfielders Nick DeLeon, Tsubasa Endoh, Liam Fraser, forwards Ifunanyachi Achara and Ayo Akinola. Toronto FC has not exercised the option on midfielder Pablo Piatti. Piatti will be eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Draft.
Defenders Laurent Ciman, Justin Morrow and Eriq Zavaleta will all be out of contract at the end of the year. In addition, the loan deal for defender Tony Gallacher will expire at the end of the year.
Twenty-one players are contractually guaranteed for the 2021 season: goalkeepers Alex Bono and Quentin Westberg; defenders Auro, Omar Gonzalez, Richie Laryea, Chris Mavinga, Rocco Romeo (currently away on loan); midfielders Michael Bradley, Marky Delgado, Griffin Dorsey, Erickson Gallardo, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Noble Okello (currently away on loan), Jonathan Osorio, Alejandro Pozuelo, Ralph Priso, Jacob Shaffelburg and forwards Jozy Altidore, Patrick Mullins, Jayden Nelson and Jordan Perruzza (signed for 2021 season).
"The year did not end how we wanted it to, but I am very proud of what the team accomplished under unique and difficult circumstances. We'll be able to return a core part of the group, including some young, exciting, and hungry homegrown players, but also, we'll look to make some important decisions that add to the quality of the team. In a lot of ways, the cap next year will be less than it was this year, so we'll have to be creative. With that said, while we'll have conversations with Pablo and his representation regarding returning next year, we'll also look to bring in a new Designated Player. We'll also have conversations with other players that qualify for free agency, such as Justin Morrow," said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. "There's a lot of work to do during the offseason, but we are motivated and have the experience and energy for it. We have a strong team, and we hope to be back in front of our fans at home in BMO Field next year to contend for trophies in 2021."
Toronto FC's 2021 roster as it currently stands:
Goalkeepers (3): Alex Bono, Kevin Silva, Quentin Westberg
Defenders (6): Auro, Julian Dunn, Omar Gonzalez, Richie Laryea, Chris Mavinga, Rocco Romeo*
Midfielders (13): Michael Bradley, Nick DeLeon, Marky Delgado, Griffin Dorsey, Tsubasa Endoh, Liam Fraser, Erickson Gallardo, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Noble Okello*, Jonathan Osorio, Alejandro Pozuelo, Ralph Priso, Jacob Shaffelburg
Forwards (6): Ifunanyachi Achara, Ayo Akinola, Jozy Altidore, Jayden Nelson, Patrick Mullins, Jordan Perruzza
*currently away on loan
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.