#SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know
Sixth-seed FC Dallas (9-6-7, 34 points) visits second-seed Seattle Sounders (11-5-6, 39 points) in the Western Conference Semifinals on Tuesday, Dec. 1 at 8:30PM CT at Lumen Field. The match, presented by AdvoCare, is the first meeting of the two teams this year. Click here for an updated MLS playoff bracket.
Details You Need to Know:
Gameday Social: #SEAvFCD
TV: 8:30PM on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes
Streaming: 8:30PM on FOX Sports GO app and at FOXSportsGO.com.
Radio: 8:00PM CT on FCDallas.com/Radio (English) and TUDN 1270AM (Spanish)
Pregame Show: 8:00PM CT on FCDallas.com/Stream
Pregame Sound Bites Available HERE
5 Things to Know about #SEAvFCD
For the second season in a row, FC Dallas will travel to face the Seattle Sounders in the MLS Cup Playoffs at Lumen Field (formerly CenturyLink Field). Last year, Dallas and Seattle met in the first round resulting in one of the most exciting matches of the 2019 postseason. Although FCD came back from 2-0 down to force extra time, the Sounders proved to be too much, eventually winning 4-3 and going on to win the club's second MLS Cup. Still, Dallas' spirited performance was an exciting glimpse of the young squad's potential. Now, with a conference semifinal on the cards, Dallas has a chance to avenge last year's narrow defeat.
Jimmy "The Wall" Maurer
Goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer enjoyed a standout performance in FCD's shootout win over the Portland Timbers in the previous round of the playoffs. In addition to making the game-winning penalty stop, the 32-year-old made seven saves over the 120 minutes which tied him for third-most saves in franchise history during a playoff game. The performance capped off a career-year for Maurer which saw him finish the regular season ranked first in MLS in Goals Against Average (GAA) and third overall in save percentage (although first among starting keepers).
Last round against Portland, FC Dallas became the first team in MLS Cup Playoffs history to convert eight attempts during a penalty kick shootout; the previous record was 7, set twice (KC, 2013 MLS Cup; POR, 2015 Knockout Round). Reto Ziegler, Franco Jara, Bressan, Ricardo Pepi, Ryan Hollingshead, Matt Hedges, Tanner Tessmann and Ema Twumasi were the eight players to convert. Jimmy Maurer saved the final attempt during the post-match penalty shootout, coming in his first career appearance in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Dallas' all-time record against Seattle is 7-12-7 (28 GF, 42 GA) and its all-time postseason record against the Sounders is 2-3-2 (9 GF, 12 GA). At Lumen Field, FCD has a 1-9-2 (8 GF, 29 GA) all-time record and a 0-2-1 (4 GF, 9 GA) record when playing there in the postseason. The teams are meeting for the fifth time overall in the postseason, and for a second consecutive year. The clubs faced each other in three consecutive seasons from 2014-16. Sounders FC advanced on two of the three occasions, in 2014 and 2016, with FCD going through after penalty kicks in 2015.
Defending champions Seattle finished in second place in the Western Conference with 39 points and a 11-5-6 record. The Sounders finished the regular season with just one loss in its final six outings before defeating Los Angeles FC 3-1 in the first round of the postseason thanks to goals from RaÃºl RuidÃaz, Jordan Morris and Nico Lodeiro. Seattle was also the third-highest scoring team and registered the best defensive record in the Western Conference during the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2020
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly - LA Galaxy
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team - Portland Timbers
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team - Orlando City SC
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Players, Paul Arriola and Bill Hamid, Selected for USMNT Training Camp - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce End-Of-Season Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Rescheduled for Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico - Chicago Fire
- MLS Announces Changes to Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule to Reach Broader Audience - MLS
- MNUFC Western Conference Semifinal Game at Kansas City Moved to December 3 on Fox - Minnesota United FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Contract Extension for Romell Quioto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Forward Maximiliano Urruti Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- Willie Nelson Concert at Toyota Stadium Moves to October 2, Along with National Soccer Hall of Fame Weekend
- FC Dallas Announces Jersey Rights Partnership with MTX Group
- Major League Soccer Preseason Schedule Update
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to FC Bayern Munich
- Major League Soccer Announces Update to 2021 MLS Season Start