Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indians lost for the seventh time in their last eight games with a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Pawtucket on Friday night. Three runs in the seventh inning spelled doom for Indy, who dropped 2.5 games back of Columbus in the International League West with the loss.
Indianapolis (35-30) snapped a 21-game, first-inning scoring drought with two in the opening frame but that was all the offense could muster against southpaws Kyle Hart and Dan Runzler. Cole Tucker laced a leadoff triple and scored on a Jake Elmore double to the wall in right-center. Two outs later, Jason Martin slapped a single through the right side of the infield to make it 2-0.
Pawtucket (29-37) plated its only run during Eduardo Vera's 6.0-inning performance in the fourth. Rusney Castillo singled and took third on a Josh Ockimey double to right to set up a sacrifice fly by Juan Centeno.
The score remained 2-1 in favor of the Tribe until the seventh with Vera out of the game. Rehabbing reliever Chris Stratton (L, 0-1) walked the No. 9 hitter Josh Tobias on five pitches before allowing a single to former Indian Gorkys Hernandez. Jantzen Witte capitalized with two men on, driving a game-tying double to right.
With the infield in on the cut of the grass, Chad De La Guerra hit a grounder to Tucker's left at shortstop. The 22-year-old fielded the ball but his throw home caromed off the glove of Christian Kelley to the backstop. The throwing error resulted in the decisive runs and final 4-2 margin.
2017 Indians reliever Dan Runzler (S, 1) closed the game for Pawtucket with two shutout innings in relief. Hart (W, 3-1), an Indiana University alum from its 2013 College World Series team, fired 7.0 innings and fanned five while surrendering just two runs.
The Tribe and PawSox play the second game of their series on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. ET. Alex McRae (4-2, 5.18) will start for the Indians against Daniel McGrath, who will be making his Triple-A debut for Pawtucket.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Tribe Comeback Falters against Bulls in Extra Innings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-48) vs. Durham Bulls (58-40)
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48)
- Mets Blast Four Homers in 15-5 Rout of Tribe