Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2
LOUISVILLE, Ky - The Louisville Bats beat the Buffalo Bisons in the first game of a three-game series Friday night at Louisville Slugger Field, by a score of 3-2. Louisville starter Lucas Sims (4-0, 4.13) pitched an impressive game picking up the win.
Right-hander Lucas Sims took the mound for Louisville, facing off against Buffalo lefty Ryan Feierabend (3-2, 5.60). The Bisons' offense started the game off on a high-note as Bo Bichette homered to leadoff the game. After that, Sims would quiet the Buffalo hitters. Sims would retire 14-straight batters before giving up his second hit of the game in the seventh inning. Falling behind 2-0 early on, the Bats hitters would get going in the second, putting a run on the board as Rob Refsnyder singled in Phillip Ervin.
Louisville would tie the game 2-2 in the fourth inning thanks to an Aristides Aquino solo home run in the fourth inning. The homer extends Aquino's hitting streak to 18 games, which ties Nick Senzel (6/9/18-4/30/19) for the longest Bats hitting streak since 2015. The Bats would jump ahead 3-2 in the sixth inning as Brian O'Grady singled in Christian Colon. The O'Grady RBI was his team-leading 42nd.
Sims pitched his way into the eighth inning where he would get two quick outs, then allowed a single to Bichette before exiting the game. Sims pitched 7.2 innings, allowing just three hits and one earned run, while striking out six. The outing was the longest of the season by a Louisville starter. Sims would be relieved by Louisville reliever Sal Romano. Romano would strike out Socrates Brito to end the inning, a 13-pitch at bat. Romano would pitch the ninth as well and dazzled, picking up his first save of the season. Romano struck out all three batters to record four strikeouts on the night.
The Bats and Bisons continue their three-game home series at Louisville Slugger Field Saturday night at 6:30 pm. Louisville right-hander Brad Markey (1-1, 9.00) will toe the rubber, facing off against Buffalo right-hander Conor Fisk (1-3, 5.09).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.