Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener
SYRACUSE, NY - The Gwinnett Stripers (37-29), riding the pitching of Kyle Wright and a 17-hit attack, beat the Syracuse Mets (32-35) 11-4 on Friday night in the opener of the three-game series at NBT Bank Stadium. Wright struck out a season-high 10 batters and Sean Kazmar Jr. tied a career high with five hits.
Scoring Recap: The Mets opened a 2-0 lead in the first inning with two unearned runs off Wright, both scoring on a two-run home run by Rene Rivera (7). The Stripers scored three runs in the top of the second off left-hander Anthony Kay to take the lead for good at 3-2. In the top of the third, Kazmar Jr. (9) blasted a two-run homer off Kay for a 5-2 lead. An RBI double by Travis Demeritte in the seventh made it 6-2. The lead grew to 10-2 in the eighth as Rafael Ortega (12) hit a two-run homer off Stephen Villines and Luis Marte dropped in a two-run single. Marte added an RBI single in the ninth to make it 11-2. Syracuse scored twice in the bottom of the ninth, but left the bases loaded to end the game.
Stripers Stats: Wright (W, 4-4) pitched a season-high 7.2 innings with two unearned runs on two hits, two walks, and 10 strikeouts. At the plate, Kazmar Jr. was 5-for-5 with a double, homer, three runs, and two RBIs. Lopez went 3-for-5 with a double and two RBIs. Marte tallied three RBIs in a 2-for-4 night. Ortega went 2-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs.
Mets Stats: Kay (L, 0-1), making his first Triple-A start, pitched 4.0 innings with six hits and five earned runs. Rivera went 2-for-4 with a homer and three RBIs.
Postgame Notes: Kazmar Jr. collected the third five-hit game of his career, first since August 29, 2010 with Triple-A Portland at Tacoma. The five hits were the most by a Gwinnett player since Danny Santana also had five on July 15, 2017 at Charlotte. Ortega extended his on-base streak to 23 games and hitting streak to 10 games. The Stripers recorded a season-high 17 hits including seven for extra bases. Wright retired 14 batters in a row between the second and seventh innings.
Next Game (Saturday, June 15): Gwinnett at Syracuse, 7:05 p.m. at NBT Bank Stadium. RHP Huascar Ynoa (1-1, 5.63 ERA) starts for the Stripers vs. RHP Chris Mazza (1-3, 3.86 ERA) for the Mets. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Wilson Tosses Gem in Gwinnett's 12-1 Rout of Rochester
- Demeritte, Allard Key Stripers' 5-1 Win over Rochester
- Hoekstra and Unroe Achieve Firsts as Stripers Beat Rochester
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley
- Lopez Drives in Four to Lead Gwinnett over Lehigh Valley