Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (32-32) fell victim to the home run ball on Friday night against the Columbus Clippers (38-28) as they lost 13-6.
The Clippers sent 13 batters to the plate in the top of the first inning as they jumped out to a 9-0 lead. Mark Mathias hit a three-run home run off Tyler Viza (0-6) to start the lengthy inning that was followed by a Bobby Bradley solo home run. Ryan Flaherty hit a two-run home run off Viza to chase him out of the game and give Columbus a 6-0 lead.
Seth McGarry entered the game to pitch in relief of Viza. Greg Allen hit an RBI single to score Eric Hasse and Mathias added his second RBI of the inning - a single to score Daniel Johnson.
Columbus took a 10-0 lead off McGarry in the top of the second inning as Trayce Thompson scored on a pass ball. The IronPigs got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the second inning against Aaron Civale (1-0) as Jose Antequera walked with the bases loaded to score Rob Brantly.
Lehigh Valley cut the Clippers lead to 10-3 in the bottom of the fourth inning as Antequera hit a two-run single to score Brantly and Damek Tomscha. Civale left the game after pitching five innings.
The score became 10-4 in the bottom of the seventh inning as Brantly hit an RBI single off Henry Martinez to score Ali Castillo. Eric Stamets homered off Luke Leftwich in the top of the eighth inning to extend the Clippers lead to 11-4. Deivy Grullon hit a two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning off Jon Edwards to cut the lead to 11-6.
Bradley and Thompson hit back-to-back home runs off Austin Davis in the top of the ninth inning to give Columbus a 13-6 lead.
Josh Tols pitched three scoreless innings while striking out five batters.
The IronPigs and Clippers will play on Saturday night at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is at 6:35 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced