Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday
(ROCHESTER, NY) -- In the opening game of their three-game series from Frontier Field in Rochester, NY on Friday night, the Charlotte Knights fell just short to the Rochester Red Wings by a score of 7-6. Left fielder Brent Rooker ripped a go-ahead RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning off RHP Jimmy Cordero (1-1, 1.69) to lead the Red Wings to the one-run win. Cordero was saddled with the loss.
The Knights managed 10 hits on the evening, but lost for the third time on the six-game road trip. Catcher Seby Zavala launched his eighth home run of the season and led the way offensively for the Knights with three hits and four RBIs. Left fielder Paulo Orlando extended his hit streak to seven consecutive games, while Rochester, NY native, Danny Mendick, went 1-for-3 at the plate in his homecoming.
Charlotte RHP Dylan Cease started the game but did not factor in the decision. Cease, who left with a 5-4 lead, allowed four runs on seven hits over five innings and threw 101 pitches. RHP Matt Foster gave up two runs on three hits over two innings. RHP Cody Stashak (2-0, 2.25) earned the win after allowing just one run over two innings of work out of the Rochester bullpen.
The two teams will continue their three-game series on Saturday night from Frontier Field. Pre-game radio coverage of Saturday's 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Effort Launched to Assist Those Affected by COVID-19
- 2020 ACC Baseball Championship Cancelled
- McMillon to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on May 3
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways