Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night
INDIANAPOLIS, I.N. - Kyle Hart and Dan Runzler combined to face the minimum over the final eight innings of play, as the Pawtucket Red Sox (29-37) topped the Indianapolis Indians (35-30) at Victory Field on Friday night to take game one of this three-game series by a final score of 4-2.
In his first start since May 30, Kyle Hart was superb. After allowing a pair of first-inning runs, Hart faced the minimum amount of batters over his final six innings. He gave up a lead-off single in the fourth inning to Kevin Kramer, but he was quickly erased on a strike 'em out, throw 'em out double play. He then allowed a lead-off single to Nick Franklin in the sixth, but he too was erased on a ground-ball double play.
Overall, the Indiana University product went 7 innings, allowing 5 hits and two earned runs while striking out 5 without allowing a walk.
Indianapolis grabbed an early lead off Hart in the bottom of the first. After the lead-off hitter Cole Tucker tripled to the left-center field, Jake Elmore lined a double to the right-center field gap to bring home the game's first run. Three batters later, Jason Martin pulled a single through the right side to score Elmore, which made it 2-0.
The game remained scoreless until the seventh inning. Pawtucket tied the game at 2 thanks to Jantzen Witte's RBI double. Witte picked up his second-straight multiple hit game.
One batter later, with runners at second and third, Chad De La Guerra hit a ground ball to the shortstop Tucker. The runner at third, Gorkys Hernández, came home on the play, and Tucker made an errant throw to the plate, which allowed Hernández to score, and it also allowed Witte to score all the way from second.
The red-hot Rusney Castillo continued his big road trip with his fourth-straight multi-hit game. On the night, Castillo went 3-for-4 with a run scored. In the first four games on the trip, he has gone 11-for-15 with a home run, a double, and 3 RBI's.
The PawSox continue their series with the Indians tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Left-hander Daniel McGrath (1-0, 3.06 ERA) is set to make his Triple-A debut for Pawtucket. McGrath is scheduled to oppose Indians righty Dario Agrazal (4-2, 3.10 ERA).
Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
Following the weeklong road trip and an off day next week, the PawSox return to McCoy Stadium June 18-25 (Tuesday-Tuesday) for an eight-game homestand. On June 18, the PawSox will again change their name to Los Osos Polares de Pawtucket in the second year as part of MiLB's program that engages local Hispanic communities. On June 20 (Thursday), the PawSox will play for a second straight year as the Pawtucket Hot Wieners. On June 21 (Friday), fans can receive Jason Varitek replica jerseys. In addition, Roger Clemens will be inducted into the PawSox Hall of Fame. On June 22 (Saturday), fans will be treated to Post-Game Fireworks set to a Beatles theme. Before that game, PawSox manager Billy McMillon and former team general manager Lou Schwechheimer will be inducted into the International League Hall of Fame in special pre-game ceremonies. June 23 (Sunday) is a Sunday Funday with a pre-game catch on the field and post-game run the bases.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Bichette Homers in Bisons 3-2 Loss to Bats - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Thump Syracuse 11-4 in Series Opener - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mud Hens End Four-Game Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Skid Hits Four in 4-2 Loss to Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Stripers, 11-4 - Syracuse Mets
- Sims Shines, Bats Beat Bisons 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener in Rochester 7-6 on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Lollygaggers Rout RailRiders, 16-3 - Durham Bulls
- Hart Dazzles in Indianapolis on Friday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Columbus hits six home runs in win over Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Victory Field All-Time Attendance Hits 14 Million - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (28-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-34) at Louisville Bats (26-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.