Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels
The Red Deer Rebels made one small move as the WHL trade deadline came and went Thursday afternoon.
Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter made his big deal at the end of November when he added forwards Brett Davis and Cameron Hausinger in a multi-player deal with the Kootenay Ice.
"We were looking to add a couple of good players to our forward ranks and we did that," said Sutter, who is on the road in Brandon for a meeting with the Wheat Kings Friday.
In a deal that didn't involve any players on the team Sutter sent defenceman Nicholas Draffin, who was with the Calgary Mustangs of the AJHL, to Vancouver for a seventh round selection in the 2021 bantam draft.
Other than that "there was nothing that made sense for us right now.
"We're happy with the young guys we have and we have a good group of young kids coming up," added Sutter. "We just didn't want to disturb the chemistry with this group."
Sutter didn't see anyone who would make the team significantly better.
"There wasn't anyone who was better than the players we have now. The kids we have have done a good job and as a team we're content and like the players."
There weren't a significant number of trades and no real blockbuster unless you look at Swift Current trading goaltender Joel Hofer to Portland for six draft picks.
"Most of the kids traded wanted different scenery," said Sutter.
Teams in the Rebels Central Division were relatively quiet.
The Edmonton Oil Kings picked up 17-year old forward Josh Williams from the Medicine Hat Tigers in exchange for 18-year old forward Brett Kemp.
The Ice added 18-year-old rearguard Brendan Kwiatkowski from Moose Jaw for a ninth round pick in 2019 and the Edmonton Oil Kings picked up a sixth round pick in 2022 from the Prince Albert Raiders for goaltender Boston Bilous.
Prince Albert was busy as they swapped 17-year-old forwards with Calgary. Bryce Bader went to Prince Albert and Quinn Olson to Calgary.
The Raiders also added 18-year-old defenceman Loeden Schaufler from Seattle for an eighth round selection in 2019.
One of the more notable trades saw forward Ryan Hughes going from Portland to Saskatoon for forward Josh Paterson, a second-round pick in 2020 and a fourth rounder in 2021.
Friday's meeting with the Wheat Kings is the middle contest in a three-game road trip for the Rebels, who defeated Swift Current 3-2 Wednesday. They travel to Regina Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Robbie Holmes from the Regina Pats - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Trim to Seven Defensemen as Ladyman Reassigned - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Deal Zawatsky to Warriors for Smithies, Picks - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George - Kelowna Rockets
- Rockets make moves on trade deadline day - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Deal Hartje to Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Prospect Sloan Stanick, Two Picks from Everett for Robbie Holmes - Regina Pats
- Prospect Draffin Traded to Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Zawatsky - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Nicholas Draffin from Red Deer - Vancouver Giants
- Sasha Mutala to Play for Team Orr at 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Swap Williams for Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings and Tigers Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Acquire Denomie - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick from Moose Jaw for Carson Denomie - Kamloops Blazers
- Hawks Acquire Paterson from Saskatoon - Portland Winterhawks
- Be a Superhero Is the Theme for the Annual Pink the Rink Game Presented by Western Financial Group - Kootenay Ice
- Americans Acquire Huo from Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Video Game Night Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Bilous from Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings and Raiders Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Capped by Rebels 3-2 - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans to Host CH2M Military Appreciation Night on January 18 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Start Road Trip with a 3-2 Win in Swift Current - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Sign Forward Kaden Hanas to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Add Schaufler from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- 'Canes Score Late Goal, Drop ICE 3-2 - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Acquire '00-Born Defenceman Brenden Kwiatkowski from Warriors - Kootenay Ice
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Regina - Game #41 - Portland Winterhawks
- Introducing the Wheat Kings Recycle Rally Contest - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Regina Exhibition Association Limited and Regina Pats Extend Their Partnership Agreement - Regina Pats
- Raiders Acquire Bader from Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Acquire the Rights to Quinn Olson from the Prince Albert Raiders - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Douse Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Cougars End Road Swing with Loss - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Pull away in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Doubled up by Silvertips - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Opens Homestand with 4-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Fall At Home To Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Tip Warriors in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Rebels' Penalty Kill Struggles in One-Goal Loss to Hurricanes
- Lack of Size Has Never Been a Hindrance to Rebels Rookie Sorensen
- Second-Period Lapse Proves Costly for Rebels
- Poor First Period Leads to Third Straight Loss for Rebels
- Rebels Rookies Masters and Grubbe to Represent Canada at U-17 Challenge