Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland
Saskatoon, Sask. - The Saskatoon Blades have acquired 19-year-old forward Ryan Hughes from the Portland Winterhawks in exchange for 19-year-old forward Josh Paterson, a 2020 2nd round draft pick and a 2021 4th round draft pick. The 2nd round pick in 2020 originally belonged to the Swift Current Broncos.
Hughes, a 5-foot-8 left-shot forward, is an established Western Hockey League scorer with a total of 223 career regular season games on his resume in addition to 27 playoff games. In those 223 games over the course of four seasons, Hughes has scored 64 goals and 87 assists. The Edmonton native is a career +16 and has collected 186 penalty minutes. In his 27 playoff appearances, Ryan has 4 goals and 8 assists.
This season, Hughes already has 17 goals, 40 points, and 34 penalty minutes in 36 games with the Winterhawks. Hughes also attended Montreal Canadiens' camp this past off-season.
"First and foremost, we want to thank Josh for everything he has done for us and his parents Sheryl and Brad, they're at a lot of games and have become a big part of the Blades family over the past four years," said Saskatoon Blades general manager Colin Priestner. "Josh was the first player I ever drafted and him signing with us when we were an unproven young team was a big deal for us, and I'll always be grateful to Josh for that."
Paterson was originally drafted 25th overall by the Blades in 2014. Since then, Josh has suited up for 246 career regular season games in a Blades uniform.
"That being said to get a first line, dynamic left-winger in Ryan, there's always a price to pay. But to acquire a player with the speed and skill that Ryan possesses, along with 27 games of playoff experience was big for us and for our coaching staff," explained Priestner. "It's difficult to find players who can produce like he can, and at the speed he can, and he's coming from a great program that he's spent the past four years in. These deals are never easy to make but we're very excited to add Ryan to our group and we're looking forward to seeing him on the ice this weekend."
Hughes arrived in Saskatoon this afternoon with the Portland Winterhawks as they continue their biennial road trip through the East Division. Ryan is expected to make his debut in a Blades uniform on Friday night when Saskatoon plays host to the Calgary Hitmen. Saturday night the Blades entertain Hughes' former team in the Portland Winterhawks at SaskTel Centre. Both games are scheduled for 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Robbie Holmes from the Regina Pats - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Trim to Seven Defensemen as Ladyman Reassigned - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Deal Zawatsky to Warriors for Smithies, Picks - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George - Kelowna Rockets
- Rockets make moves on trade deadline day - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Deal Hartje to Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Prospect Sloan Stanick, Two Picks from Everett for Robbie Holmes - Regina Pats
- Prospect Draffin Traded to Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Zawatsky - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Nicholas Draffin from Red Deer - Vancouver Giants
- Sasha Mutala to Play for Team Orr at 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Swap Williams for Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings and Tigers Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Acquire Denomie - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick from Moose Jaw for Carson Denomie - Kamloops Blazers
- Hawks Acquire Paterson from Saskatoon - Portland Winterhawks
- Be a Superhero Is the Theme for the Annual Pink the Rink Game Presented by Western Financial Group - Kootenay Ice
- Americans Acquire Huo from Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Video Game Night Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Bilous from Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings and Raiders Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Capped by Rebels 3-2 - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans to Host CH2M Military Appreciation Night on January 18 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Start Road Trip with a 3-2 Win in Swift Current - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Sign Forward Kaden Hanas to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Add Schaufler from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- 'Canes Score Late Goal, Drop ICE 3-2 - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Acquire '00-Born Defenceman Brenden Kwiatkowski from Warriors - Kootenay Ice
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Regina - Game #41 - Portland Winterhawks
- Introducing the Wheat Kings Recycle Rally Contest - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Regina Exhibition Association Limited and Regina Pats Extend Their Partnership Agreement - Regina Pats
- Raiders Acquire Bader from Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Acquire the Rights to Quinn Olson from the Prince Albert Raiders - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Douse Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Cougars End Road Swing with Loss - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Pull away in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Doubled up by Silvertips - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Opens Homestand with 4-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Fall At Home To Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Tip Warriors in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.