Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb
PRINCE ALBERT, SK - Jaxan Kaluski had a hat trick Wednesday night at the Art Hauser Centre to lead the Seattle Thunderbirds to a 4-1 victory over the CHL number one ranked Prince Albert Raiders.
Earlier in the day the weekly Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings were released with Prince Albert at number one.
Seattle goalie Roddy Ross was excellent in the game with 33 saves on 34 shots to get his second win in as many starts. Prince Albert pulled their goalie, Ian Scott, for an extra attacker with 2:38 left in the game down two goals. Ross made several good saves to keep the Raiders at bay, including a diving save to cover a puck with 1:30 left in the game.
Midway through the first period Seattle killed off 1:33 of a Raiders five-on-three power play. Kaluski, Nolan Volcan, and Sean Richards each blocked shots as the T-Birds gained momentum from the successful penalty kill.
This was the fourth game of a six-game road trip through the East Division. The T-Birds are 2-2-0-0 on the road trip, which continues Friday, January 11 against the Moose Jaw Warriors and Saturday, January 12 against the Swift Current Broncos.
Prince Albert outshot Seattle 13-7 in a scoreless first period.
Kaluski put the T-Birds in front 1-0 1:23 into the second period. Simon Kubicek moved the puck up ice to Andrej Kukuca. Kukuca fed the puck to Kaluski in the left circle. Kaluski fired a hard wrist shot over Prince Albert goalie Ian Scott's glove for his third goal of the year.
Prince Albert tied the game 1-1 at 2:08 of the second on a goal from Jeremy Masella. Dante Hannoun had the only assist.
Kaluski got the T-Birds the lead back at 7:54 of the second. Jake Lee took a pass from Sean Richards and entered the offensive zone on the left wing. Lee stopped and took a slap shot. Lee's shot missed the net and rebounded off the end boards to Kaluski to the right of the net. Kaluski backhanded the puck past Scott as the goalie lunged to make the save.
Kaluski got the hat trick at 17:06 of the second just as the T-Birds killed off a Raiders power play. Noah Philp forced the puck out of the Seattle zone to create a two-on-one with Kaluski. Philp carried the puck into offensive wide on the left wing. Philp fed Kaluski in the low slot with a backhand pass. As Scott slid over to make the save Kaluski caught the goalie going the wrong way and chipped the puck over the blocker.
Seattle outshot Prince Albert 21-11 in the second period and led 29-24 in shots after two periods.
Matthew Wedman sealed the win when he hit an empty net with 16 seconds left in the game. The Raiders were pressuring forcing the T-Birds to ice the puck several times. After a bit of a scramble Wedman got a loose puck at center ice in the defensive zone and sent it the length of the ice.
Seattle finished the game with a 34-33 advantage in shots.
Scott finished the game with 30 saves on 33 shots.
The T-Birds next home game is Saturday, January 19, against the Victoria Royals at 6:05pm at accesso ShoWare Center. Single game tickets are on sale online on the T-Birds website and at the accesso ShoWare Center box office.
The T-Birds are now taking orders for Flex-24 Ticket packages. Fans that purchase the 24-Flex Ticket Package will be able to select any available premium seat for any game, in any ticket combination, during the 2018-19 season.
First period - No scoring. Penalties - Williams, Sea (interference), 12:48. Wedman, Sea (slashing), 13:15.
Second period - 1, Seattle, Kaluski 3 (Kukuca, Kubicek), 1:23. 2, Prince Albert, Masella 2 (Hannoun), 2:08. 3, Seattle, Kaluski 4 (Lee, Richards), 7:54. 4, Seattle, Kaluski 5 (Philp), 17:06. Penalties - Sapego, PA (cross checking), 5:37. Martin, PA (interference), 9:29. Wedman, Sea (boarding), 12:42. Leason, PA (unsportsmanlike conduct), 12:42. Volcan, Sea (tripping), 15:05.
Third period - 5, Seattle, Wedman 14, 19:44 (en). Penalties - Martin, PA (double minor-slew footing), 9:37. Masella, PA (roughing, 10-minute misconduct), 6:02. Leason, PA (tripping), 6:02. Carpendale, Sea (roughing, 10-minute misconduct), 6:02.
Shots on goal - Seattle 7-21-6 34, Prince Albert 13-11-9 33. Goalies - Seattle, Ross 33 shots-30 saves (2-0-0-0); Prince Albert, Scott 33-30 (24-4-0-1). Power plays - Seattle 0-5; Prince Albert 0-3. A - 2,502. Referees - Cody Rude, Jason Bourdon. Linesmen - Jordan Carriere, Troy Semenchuk.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Robbie Holmes from the Regina Pats - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Trim to Seven Defensemen as Ladyman Reassigned - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Deal Zawatsky to Warriors for Smithies, Picks - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George - Kelowna Rockets
- Rockets make moves on trade deadline day - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Deal Hartje to Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Prospect Sloan Stanick, Two Picks from Everett for Robbie Holmes - Regina Pats
- Prospect Draffin Traded to Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Zawatsky - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Nicholas Draffin from Red Deer - Vancouver Giants
- Sasha Mutala to Play for Team Orr at 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Swap Williams for Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings and Tigers Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Acquire Denomie - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick from Moose Jaw for Carson Denomie - Kamloops Blazers
- Hawks Acquire Paterson from Saskatoon - Portland Winterhawks
- Be a Superhero Is the Theme for the Annual Pink the Rink Game Presented by Western Financial Group - Kootenay Ice
- Americans Acquire Huo from Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Video Game Night Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Bilous from Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings and Raiders Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Capped by Rebels 3-2 - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans to Host CH2M Military Appreciation Night on January 18 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Start Road Trip with a 3-2 Win in Swift Current - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Sign Forward Kaden Hanas to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Add Schaufler from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- 'Canes Score Late Goal, Drop ICE 3-2 - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Acquire '00-Born Defenceman Brenden Kwiatkowski from Warriors - Kootenay Ice
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Regina - Game #41 - Portland Winterhawks
- Introducing the Wheat Kings Recycle Rally Contest - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Regina Exhibition Association Limited and Regina Pats Extend Their Partnership Agreement - Regina Pats
- Raiders Acquire Bader from Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Acquire the Rights to Quinn Olson from the Prince Albert Raiders - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Douse Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Cougars End Road Swing with Loss - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Pull away in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Doubled up by Silvertips - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Opens Homestand with 4-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Fall At Home To Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Tip Warriors in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.