Cougars End Road Swing with Loss
SPOKANE, WA- The Prince George Cougars had their two-game win streak come to end Wednesday, as they fell to the Spokane Chiefs 4-2 at Spokane Arena.
Wednesday marked the end of 11-straight road games for the Cougars and fatigue may had its grips on the team early. Spokane scored twice on the power-play in the first period to lead 2-0 after 20-minutes.
Prince George clawed back in the second, as Joel Lakusta scored 31-seconds into the frame to cut the deficit to one. That score held up until midway through the third period, when the Chiefs restored their two-goal lead, courtesy of a Luc Smith goal. However, the Cougars fought back, this time late in the third period.
With the goalie pulled, Josh Maser made it a 3-2 game with 70-seconds left on the clock, jamming in a rebound at the top of the crease. But the Chiefs managed to hang on, as Jake McGrew scored an empty-net goal in the dying seconds.
The Cougars had a couple of great opportunities to tie the game in the second period. With the score 2-1, Vladislav Mikhalchuk was stopped on a breakaway and Matéj Toman missed an open net, after out-racing the Chiefs' goaltender Reece Klassen to a puck at the Spokane blue-line.
Spokane hasn't been kind to the Cougars, as they've lost four-straight at Spokane Arena dating back to March 11th, 2017. Despite the loss on Wednesday, the Cougars finished the road trip with four out of a possible six points.
Chiefs [1-0] Nolan Reid (6) from Filip Kral and Luke Toporowski (power-play) 4:23
Chiefs [2-0] Ty Smith (4) from Jaret Anderson-Dolan (power-play) 13:43
Cougars [2-1] Joel Lakusta (5) from Jackson Leppard and Austin Crossley :31
Chiefs [3-1] Luc Smith (17) from Eli Zummack and Ethan McIndoe 12:56
Cougars [3-2] Josh Maser (13) from Joel Lakusta and Jackson Leppard 18:50
Chiefs [4-2] Jake McGrew (17) from Adam Beckman and Ty Smith (empty-net) 19:48
Cougars- Taylor Gauthier (Loss) 23/26 57:58
Chiefs- Reece Klassen (win) 15/17 60:00
UP NEXT: The Cougars (14-22-1-2) finally return home, as they get set for a weekend double-header against the Kelowna Rockets (17-19-3-1) at the CN Centre, starting Friday. It's the Cougars first games at home in six weeks. Saturday night is Four Rivers Co-op "Country Night." Tickets for both games are available at the TicketsNorth box office, or online at www.ticketsnorth.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Robbie Holmes from the Regina Pats - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Trim to Seven Defensemen as Ladyman Reassigned - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Deal Zawatsky to Warriors for Smithies, Picks - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George - Kelowna Rockets
- Rockets make moves on trade deadline day - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Deal Hartje to Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Prospect Sloan Stanick, Two Picks from Everett for Robbie Holmes - Regina Pats
- Prospect Draffin Traded to Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Zawatsky - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Nicholas Draffin from Red Deer - Vancouver Giants
- Sasha Mutala to Play for Team Orr at 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Swap Williams for Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings and Tigers Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Acquire Denomie - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick from Moose Jaw for Carson Denomie - Kamloops Blazers
- Hawks Acquire Paterson from Saskatoon - Portland Winterhawks
- Be a Superhero Is the Theme for the Annual Pink the Rink Game Presented by Western Financial Group - Kootenay Ice
- Americans Acquire Huo from Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Video Game Night Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Bilous from Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings and Raiders Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Capped by Rebels 3-2 - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans to Host CH2M Military Appreciation Night on January 18 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Start Road Trip with a 3-2 Win in Swift Current - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Sign Forward Kaden Hanas to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Add Schaufler from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- 'Canes Score Late Goal, Drop ICE 3-2 - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Acquire '00-Born Defenceman Brenden Kwiatkowski from Warriors - Kootenay Ice
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Regina - Game #41 - Portland Winterhawks
- Introducing the Wheat Kings Recycle Rally Contest - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Regina Exhibition Association Limited and Regina Pats Extend Their Partnership Agreement - Regina Pats
- Raiders Acquire Bader from Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Acquire the Rights to Quinn Olson from the Prince Albert Raiders - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Douse Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Cougars End Road Swing with Loss - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Pull away in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Doubled up by Silvertips - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Opens Homestand with 4-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Fall At Home To Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Tip Warriors in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Prince George Cougars Society Donates $18,000 to United Way of Northern B.C.
- Cougars' Gauthier Named to Team Canada Under-18 Roster
- Cougars' Toman Named to Czech Republic U-18 Roster
- Gauthier, Moberg Listed in NHL Central Scouting's Final Draft Rankings
- Cougars' Gauthier Named to Team Canada U-18 Training Camp Roster