Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George
The Kelowna Rockets are looking to get back into the win column this weekend when they play back to back games against their divisional rival, the Prince George Cougars. The Rockets will hit Friday night for game one and then do it again the next night, puck drop is at 7:00 pm both nights.
Kelowna is coming off a 4-2 loss to the conference-leading Everett Silvertips on Wednesday night at Prospera. Rockets defenceman Dalton Gally says there are a few things that the Rockets need to do to win the game.
"There are a few things we need to do to be effective," said Gally. "We have to play as a five-man unit in all three parts of the ice, we have to get pucks deep, we have to work high to low and get shots to the net. We need to get in front of the goalie and take away his eyes."
This weekend's games will be the seventh and eighth of nine meetings between the two teams this season. The Cougars were in Kelowna on September 28th where they claimed a 4-2 victory over the Rockets. Two days later Kelowna travelled to Prince George for back to back games on September 28th and 29th. The Cougars won the first game 3-2, while Kelowna responded the next night with a 5-2 win where Leif Mattson (2G, 1A), Kyle Topping (1G, 2A) and Nolan Foote (1G, 2A) all had three-point nights.
The last three games between the two have needed extra time to determine a winner. The Rockets won 4-3 in overtime off the stick of Nolan Foote on October 27th at Prospera Place. Prince George claimed a 4-3 win in overtime back on November 14th at the CN Centre. Last weekend the Rockets fell to the Cougars 2-1 in a shootout at Prospera Place.
The two teams will wrap up the regular season series at Prospera Place on February 8th.
Kelowna currently sits in third place in the B.C. with a 17-19-3-1 record and 38 points. They're seven points ahead of the fifth-place Prince George Cougars who have a 14-22-1-2 record and five points ahead of the Kamloops Blazers who sit in fourth place. The Rockets trail the Victoria Royals by five points for second place, while the Vancouver Giants sit in first place with 50 points and a 24-12-2-0 record.
Following the game Saturday night the Rockets will return home to host the Moose Jaw Warriors on Wednesday, January 16th for Hat Trick Wednesday. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets LW Conner Bruggen-Cate (left) in front of the Prince George Cougars' goal
(Marissa Baecker/ Kelowna Rockets Images)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Robbie Holmes from the Regina Pats - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Trim to Seven Defensemen as Ladyman Reassigned - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Deal Zawatsky to Warriors for Smithies, Picks - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Prep for Pair with Prince George - Kelowna Rockets
- Rockets make moves on trade deadline day - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Deal Hartje to Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Prospect Sloan Stanick, Two Picks from Everett for Robbie Holmes - Regina Pats
- Prospect Draffin Traded to Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Trade Deadline Quiet for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings - Kootenay Ice
- Warriors Acquire Zawatsky - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Nicholas Draffin from Red Deer - Vancouver Giants
- Sasha Mutala to Play for Team Orr at 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Swap Williams for Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings and Tigers Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Acquire Veteran Sniper from Portland - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Acquire Denomie - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick from Moose Jaw for Carson Denomie - Kamloops Blazers
- Hawks Acquire Paterson from Saskatoon - Portland Winterhawks
- Be a Superhero Is the Theme for the Annual Pink the Rink Game Presented by Western Financial Group - Kootenay Ice
- Americans Acquire Huo from Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Video Game Night Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Bilous from Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings and Raiders Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Capped by Rebels 3-2 - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans to Host CH2M Military Appreciation Night on January 18 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Start Road Trip with a 3-2 Win in Swift Current - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Sign Forward Kaden Hanas to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Add Schaufler from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- 'Canes Score Late Goal, Drop ICE 3-2 - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Acquire '00-Born Defenceman Brenden Kwiatkowski from Warriors - Kootenay Ice
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Regina - Game #41 - Portland Winterhawks
- Introducing the Wheat Kings Recycle Rally Contest - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Regina Exhibition Association Limited and Regina Pats Extend Their Partnership Agreement - Regina Pats
- Raiders Acquire Bader from Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Acquire the Rights to Quinn Olson from the Prince Albert Raiders - Calgary Hitmen
- Royals Douse Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Cougars End Road Swing with Loss - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Pull away in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Doubled up by Silvertips - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Opens Homestand with 4-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Fall At Home To Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Kaluski Hat Trick Kicks Number One Ranked Prince Albert to the Curb - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Tip Warriors in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.