TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss
MIDLAND, Mich. - The TinCaps couldn't capitalize on a terrific start from left-hander Tom Cosgrove on Wednesday night in a 2-1 walk-off loss to the Great Lakes Loons (Los Angeles Dodgers) at Dow Diamond.
With one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning, Great Lakes number nine hitter, Chris Roller, lined a single to center field that scored Romer Cuadrado to tie the game and Deacon Liput to win it.
Cuadrado led off the home ninth with a single. Liput and Luke Heyer drew walks to load the bases and set up Roller's game-ending hit.
Up until that point, the TinCaps (27-30, 59-67) were blanking the Loons (29-30, 53-74).
Tom Cosgrove, the 22-year-old left-hander from Staten Island, N.Y., continued a stellar recent stretch of starts with six shutout innings. Cosgrove struck out seven, while scattering three hits and two walks. Since June 7, Cosgrove has a 3.21 ERA across 61 2/3 innings. In this range, his 72 strikeouts are tied for the seventh most in the Midwest League, and equal with Luis Patiño for the most on the team.
He finally received a little run support in the top of the sixth. DH Owen Miller was at second base following a double when, with two outs, Gabriel Arias hit a ground ball toward right field. Loons second baseman Devin Mann slid to stop the ball in shallow right field. Miller had turned third only to head back to the base. Mann threw to third in an attempt to get Miller, but had a wild throw to third, causing Miller to dash for home. In trying to retire Miller at the plate, Great Lakes third baseman Miguel Vargas threw home, but he, too, had an errant throw, ensuring Miller scored and allowing Arias to advance all the way to third.
Cosgrove followed that up with a shutdown frame by striking out the side in order in the home sixth. After Cosgrove, 20-year-old lefty reliever Dan Dallas duplicated that in the seventh by striking out the side in order as well.
Miller was the lone TinCap with a multi-hit game as he also singled. Left fielder Jack Suwinski had a leadoff triple in the second but was stranded there.
Fort Wayne went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base. Great Lakes was 0-for-8 in those spots, too, until Roller's game-winner.
The 'Caps are now a game behind the Loons for the Midwest League Eastern Division's second half standings, and a half-game behind the West Michigan Whitecaps for the second half wild card. Click here for the latest standings.
Thursday, Aug. 23 @ Great Lakes (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ben Sheckler
- Loons Probable Starter: RHP Joel Inoa
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Fan Vote: TinCaps/Manzanas Luchadoras Join MiLB's "The Greatest Gorra" Cap Competition
- Fort Wayne Fans Savor TinCaps Family 5-Meal Kits
- TinCaps Freshen up Family 5-Meal Kits Menu
- Ft. Wayne's Farmers Market to Extend at Parkview Field, Move Outside
- TinCaps Update Family 5-Meal Kits Menu for Memorial Day Weekend