Dragons Notes for Thursday
Thursday, August 23, 2018 l Game # 60 (128)
Fifth Third Ballpark l Comstock Park, Mich.l 7:05 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (24-35, 55-72) at West Michigan Whitecaps (28-30, 64-64)
RH Austin Orewiler (5-4, 3.40) vs. RH Wilkel Hernandez (2-5, 4.86)
For the complete Press Box Notes packet, click this link: http://www.milb.com/documents/2/4/8/291598248/082318_GameNotes.pdf
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the West Michigan Whitecaps (affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) in the last game of a three-game series.
Last Game: Wednesday: West Michigan 3, Dayton 2. The Whitecaps erased a 2-1 deficit with single runs in the eighth and ninth innings for a walk-off win. The winning run in the bottom of the ninth came on a sacrifice fly by Jordan Pearce after a Dayton error allowed a runner to reach third base with one out. Dayton starter Packy Naughton was outstanding, allowing just one run and only three hits over seven innings. Andy Sugilio had a double and triple for Dayton.
Playoff Chase: The Dragons must finish in the top two among eligible teams in the East Division in the Second Half (six teams competing; Bowling Green and Lansing ineligible). The Dragons are currently four and one-half games behind West Michigan in the race for the #2 seed in the Second Half. There are 11 games to play.
2018 Team Notes
The Dragons have allowed three runs or less in 26 of their 59 second half games. Their second half ERA is 4.06 (5.31 in the first half).
2018 Individual Notes
Alejo Lopez over his last 34 games since July 15: 43 for 121, .355, to raise his average from .247 to .313. Lopez's .355 average since July 15 ranks second in the Midwest League and fifth among players on the 30 teams at the Single-A classification (Midwest League and South Atlantic League).
Andy Sugilio over his last 15 games: 22 for 60, .367, 2 HR.
J.D. Williams over his last 14 games: 16 for 47, .340, to raise his average from .203 to .256.
Jose Garcia has hit safely in eight straight games, going 16 for 37, .432. Garcia was selected as Midwest League Batter of the Week for the week of August 13-19.
Raul Wallace has hit safely in five straight games, going 6 for 20, .300.
Ryan Nutof over his last seven relief appearances: 9.2 IP, 9 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 SO, 0.93 ERA.
Dauri Moreta over his last three appearances: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 SO, 0.00 ERA.
Aneurys Zabala over his last four appearances: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0.00 ERA.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Friday, August 24 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing TBA at Dayton RH Mac Sceroler (2-5, 6.49)
Saturday, August 25 (7:07 p.m.): Lansing TBA at Dayton RH Patrick McGuff (2-5, 4.08) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sunday, August 26 (2:07 p.m.): Lansing TBA at Dayton RH Jared Solomon (0-1, 5.19) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Monday, August 27 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing TBA at Dayton LH Packy Naughton (5-10, 4.25)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen
- Dragons Single-Game Ticket Sales to Begin Wednesday, March 11