Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels
Beloit, WI - The Beloit Snappers (63-63) were doomed by a five-run rally by the Cedar Rapids Kernels (69-59) in the second inning that sent Beloit to a 8-4 loss Wednesday night at Pohlman Field.
Cedar Rapids broke open a 2-0 lead in the second inning, scoring five runs on five hits, capped off by a two-run homer by Kernels leadoff man Akil Baddoo. An RBI single from the 2018 20th overall pick Trevor Larnach to score Michael Helman made it 5-0 after the homer and single.
Kernels Ben Rodriguez, one batter later, would line his first triple of the season to right-center field to score two and bring the score to 7-0 where the inning's score would finish.
The Kernels, the leader in runs in the Western division, got the scoring started real quick Wednesday. Baddoo leadoff the game with a triple to deep center. For Baddoo, he finished the game 2-for-4 and his triple was his Midwest-leading 11th triple of the year and his fourth against the Snappers.
Baddoo would be brought home on an RBI double by Helman one batter later to make it 1-0. Trey Cabbage would send Helman home on an RBI double to make it 2-0 after one inning.
The Snappers would chip away at the lead after the second. They got their first run in the bottom of the third on an RBI single from Lazaro Armenteros to make it 7-1. Jordan Devencenzi grounded out in the ninth to score Miguel Mercedes and Armenteros would single home Ryan Gridley to make it 7-4.
The Snappers got their second run of the game in the sixth, when Gridley singled Devencenzi home to make it 7-2. On the game, Gridley was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. It was also his second three-hit game of the season.
Armenteros would finish 3-for-4 as well with two RBI. Austin Beck was 2-for-5, notching his 36th multi-hit game of the season.
Leading 7-4 and with the Snappers gaining momentum, the Kernels put on an insurance run in the top of the ninth when Larnach hit a wall-scraping solo homer to make it 8-4.
The Snappers would go down in order 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth, culminating with a Logan Farrar popping up foul to third base.
Snappers starter Jean Ruiz took his 10th loss of the season, going four innings and giving up a career high nine hits, a career-tying seven runs and four strikeouts.
Slater Lee, the Snappers newest pitcher added from the Vermont Lake Monsters on Wednesday, made his first appearance as a Snapper coming on to pitch in the seventh inning. He would pitch two good scoreless innings, giving up just two hits and earning a strikeout.
With the loss, the Snappers move to 6-7 on the year against the Kernels. They have now dropped the first two of the series and lost three of their last five series overall.
Thursday is the series and homestand finale, starting at 7:00 p.m. Taking the hill first for Beloit will be right-hander Gus Varland (0-0, 0.00). On the other side will be Kernels right-hander Melvi Acosta (2-4, 2.56).
It's a Two-Dollar Thursday special. Hot dogs, brats, pizza, 12 oz. domestic draft beer and fountain soft drinks can be purchased for just $2. Presented by your friends at Advia Credit Union.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics since 2013. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or on our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss