Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six
GENEVA, Ill.- In very unfamiliar territory, the Kane County Cougars (32-26, 68-60) coughed up a lead late in the game and fell to Peoria (33-25, 72-56) 4-3 from Northwestern Medicine Field Thursday night. Along with Beloit's loss, the Cougars' lead for the wild card race in the Western Division dwindles down to a half game. With a four-game series coming up in Cedar Rapids, the Cougars sit three-and-a-half games back of the Kernels for the Western Division lead.
The Cougars were first to score in the game for the seventh consecutive time. Eudy Ramos extended his RBI streak to six games with a run scoring triple to plate Tra Holmes before Terrence Connelly started his big day with an RBI single.
A 2-0 lead seemed plenty for Cougar starter Lane Ratliff, who didn't cough up a run to Peoria until the fourth inning.
Connelly made sure the Cougars' grabbed that run back immediately when he singled home Holmes with two outs in the fourth.
Ratliff continued to cruise, securing his sixth consecutive quality start. The lefty worked seven innings of one-run baseball with just one walk and four strikeouts. His counterpart Jake Dahlberg (4-1) also tossed a quality start and was on the hook for the tough luck loss until Peoria sparked a rally in the eighth.
Tyler Keele found trouble with a leadoff single to Rayder Ascanio, but quickly found himself in a better groove. After striking out Nolan Gorman, Ascanio was caught stealing on the bases during Luken Baker's at-bat for the second out with nobody on. But Baker drew the first of two-out walks before Zach Kirtley was put on. Keele was then pulled for Luis Castillo. Julio Rodriguez drove in four runs the night before, but came up to the plate in the eighth hitless through his first three at bats. Rodriguez then belted a three-run homer to give Peoria its first lead of the series and the Cougars' first deficit of the homestand.
Yan Sanchez led off the bottom of the ninth with a double, but the Cougars stranded the tying run in scoring position to end the game.
The Cougars begin a pivotal four-game series against the first-place Cedar Rapids Kernels Friday evening. Left-hander Franklyn Soriano (1-2, 2.20) will take the mound against former Cougar Jhoan Duran (6-5, 4.20) from Veterans Memorial Stadium. First pitch is at 6:35 p.m. Coverage on AM 1280 WBIG and kccougars.com begins at 6:20 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season