River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had a 1-0 lead over the Quad Cities River Bandits heading into the ninth inning on Thursday night at Neuroscience Group Field. But, the Bandits scored a two-out run in the ninth to tie the game and scored the only run in extra innings to defeat Wisconsin 2-1 in ten innings.
Zach Clark gave the Rattlers (61-68 overall, 30-30 second half) a 1-0 lead with a two-out solo home run to right. Clark's eighth home run of the season hit on the top of the wall and bounced on to the Home Run Porch for the lead.
Wisconsin starting pitcher Dylan File scattered seven hits over seven innings and struck out seven to protect the lead.
The River Bandits (74-56, 34-26) chased File from the game in the top of the eighth as the first two hitters reached base. Reliever Robbie Hitt entered the game and maintained the lead as he got a force play at third on a sacrifice bunt attempt, a popup and a strikeout.
In the ninth, Hitt retired the first two batters he faced, but allowed a single to Alfredo Angarita to extend the game. Hitt was ahead of Miguelangel Sierra with two quick strikes, but Sierra dropped a single into right-center to send Angarita around to third base. Hitt was one strike away one more time in the inning as he had a 1-2 count on Cesar Salazar, but the next pitch was lined up the middle for an RBI single to tie the game.
Quad Cities took their first lead of the game in the top of the tenth. Trey Dawson started the inning at second base and was moved to third on a grounder to the right side of the infield. Chandler Taylor was next and he drove a single through the drawn-in infield to plate Dawson for the 2-1 lead.
Clark was the Rattler to start the bottom of the tenth inning at second base, but an unsuccessful sacrifice attempt kept him at second base. Gabriel García followed with a fly ball to right to move Clark to third, but Clark was left at third when Darren Seferina grounded out to first to end the game.
In the second half Western Division Wild Card race, Kane County lost 4-3 to Peoria at home and Beloit beat Cedar Rapids 5-4 at home. Kane County's Wild Card lead over Beloit dropped to a half game. The Rattlers missed a chance to pick up ground and remained 3-1/2 games behind the Cougars. Wisconsin has ten games remaining in the regular season.
The Timber Rattlers start a four-game road trip on Friday night with a game against the Clinton LumberKings at Ashford University Field. Aaron Ashby (1-1, 2.39) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. The LumberKings have named Scott Boches (2-5, 3.49) as their starter. Game time is 6:30pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Potawatomi Hotel & Casino Pregame Show at 6:10pm. The broadcast is also available on the Tune In and IHeart Radio apps.
R H E
QC 000 000 001 1 - 2 11 2
WIS 010 000 000 0 - 1 6 1
Zach Clark (8th, 0 on in 2nd inning off Leovanny Rodriguez, 2 out)
WP: JP France (1-0)
LP: Robbie Hitt (1-4)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3