Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4
Grand Rapids, Mich. - West Michigan's Rey Rivera lined a base hit to center field to bring in the winning run from third base with no one out in the bottom of the 10th inning as the Whitecaps defeated the Dayton Dragons 5-4 on Thursday night. West Michigan won two-of-three in the series.
For the third time in the three-game series, the game was tied going to the ninth inning. Neither team scored in the ninth and the game went to extra innings for the first time in the set. The Dragons could not score in the top of the 10th and West Michigan began the bottom half of the inning with their free runner at second base. After a sacrifice bunt that was mishandled by Dayton first baseman Reshard Munroe moved the lead runner to third, Rivera hit a liner to center. Dragons outfielder Lorenzo Cedrola charged hard and had the ball in his glove momentarily but could not hold on as the runner raced in from third to end the game.
West Michigan took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning when Rivera drilled a double to left-center field to bring in two.
The Dragons battled back to score three runs in the fifth and take the lead. Alejo Lopez doubled and Raul Wallace walked with two outs. Jose Garcia connected on a triple to right-center field, and when the relay throw into third skipped past, Garcia came in to score and give the Dragons a 3-2 lead.
West Michigan regained the lead in the sixth, collecting three hits and scoring two runs in the inning to jump in front 4-3.
The Dragons pushed across a run in the eighth to tie the game again. Jeter Downs blooped a single to right field with one out, stole second, and scored on Lorenzo Cedrola's single to right to make it 4-4.
Dayton starting pitcher Austin Orewiler worked the first six innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits with one walk and two strikeouts. Miguel Aguilar tossed two scoreless innings in relief of Orewiler, allowing one hit with three strikeouts. John Ghyzel (2-6) pitched a scoreless ninth but allowed the winning run in the 10th to take the loss.
The Dragons collected six hits. Alejo Lopez had a single, double, and walk.
In the Standings: The Dragons fell to 24-36 in the second half with the loss. They are five and one-half games behind West Michigan in the Midwest League's East Division Second Half wildcard race. There are 10 games to play including seven home games for the Dragons.
Up Next: The Dragons return to Fifth Third Field to open a four-game series with the Lansing Lugnuts on Friday at 7:00 p.m. Mac Sceroler (2-5, 6.49) will start for Dayton against Jordan Barrett (3-2, 3.73).
The Dragons have seven home games remaining during the regular season. For Dragons 2018 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
Game Broadcast: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE and on the internet at wone.com. Games are also available on the Dayton Dragons mobile app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen
- Dragons Single-Game Ticket Sales to Begin Wednesday, March 11
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Preview, Part 1: Catchers