Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star"
Dayton, Ohio - The Dragons and Vectren will honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center during the unique "Community All-Stars" program on Friday, August 24, at 7:00 p.m. when the Dayton Dragons take on the Lansing Lugnuts at Fifth Third Field.
The Dayton community is a great place to live, work and play. But what makes Dayton truly great are the people that call Dayton home. We have great people and great organizations in our community that do incredible things each and every day. Throughout the season, the Dragons and Vectren will honor five "All-Stars" with a special inning break tribute in recognition of their service.
SICSA Not Only Saves Lives, They Create Families
When Society for the Improvement of Conditions for Stray Animals (SICSA) originally opened its doors in 1974, the founding volunteers wanted to create an alternative to animal pounds and euthanasia shelters. By 1999, the organization moved into a larger facility and now boasts a workforce of more than 600 paid staff and volunteers.
The main goal for SICSA is to provide adoption and placement services for animals, as well as preventing homeless animals by offering free spay and neuter services. The organization currently focuses on cats and dogs and has had over 25,000 successful placements or adoptions during the last 18 years.
To make sure each placement and adoption is the right fit, SICSA takes steps to ensure the animal and human are happy together. Each animal up for adoption has its own webpage that is updated with the current status of the cat or dog. Potential pet owners can then come and meet the animal and work with an adoption counselor. To top everything off, the animal can have a "slumber party" with the interested family before any final adoption decision.
SICSA does not just provide adoption and placement services, but also has volunteer programs for all ages. From ages eight and up, anyone can volunteer to take the animals out into the community, giving the animals fresh air and providing some excitement for wherever they go. Aside from the volunteer aspect, SICSA has educated over 7,000 local youth about the humane treatment of animals.
In the long term, SICSA is running a capital campaign to build a "Forever Home." This 26,000 square foot facility will provide expanded veterinary care for the sheltered animals and serve as a place for families to go who cannot afford general vet care. To learn more and help support SICSA, please visit www.sicsa.org
For making a difference in the community, SICSA has been selected as a Dragons "Community All-Star". The program honors those that have gone above and beyond to improve the quality of life in the Miami Valley.
The Dragons "Community All-Stars" Program is made possible by the generous support of Vectren. For more information or to nominate an All-Star in your life, visit www.daytondragons.com/communityallstar.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.