Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win
Burlington, IA - Matt Sanders hit his first home run of his professional career and the Clinton LumberKings topped the Burlington Bees 4-1 on Thursday night to earn their first series win since July. LumberKings (27-33, 66-64) pitching combined to strikeout 13 Bees (18-38, 48-77) batters including eight by starter Ray Kerr to match a professional career high.
Clinton scored their first run of the night quick against Bees starter Mitchell Traver. Billy Cooke was hit by the fourth pitch of the game and scored three batters later on an Onil Pena infield RBI single.
The Bees tied the game in the bottom of the third when they pushed across their only run of the night. Leo Rivas drew a one-out walk against Kerr (5-11) and moved to third on a single by Orlando Martinez. Kevin Williams followed with a sacrifice fly to center.
Kerr allowed no more over his time out. The lefty earned his fifth win of the season for a five-inning outing in which he allowed one run on three hits while walking one and striking out eight.
The LumberKings took the lead for good in the top of the fourth with Sanders first home run of his professional career. Sanders lined the third pitch of the inning from Traver (5-7) over the wall in left to put Clinton on top 2-1.
The LumberKings added to their lead with a run in the fifth on Pena's second RBI single of the game.
In the top of the eighth inning, Johnny Adams capped the scoring with an RBI triple off the wall in center that scored Ariel Sandoval from first.
Matt Clancy and Joey Gerber combined to shutout the Bees over the final three innings with Clancy awarded his third hold of the year and Gerber earning his first save of the season.
The LumberKings now head home for the final time in 2018 to open a seven-game homestand with the opener of a four-game series with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Friday night at Ashford University Field. Clinton will throw right-hander Scott Boches (2-5, 3.49) while the Timber Rattlers will counter with lefty Aaron Ashby (1-1, 2.39). Game time is slated for 6:30 PM. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:15 PM with the pregame show.
Friday night will be the annual Clinton Community College back to school bash. See Clinton Community College for a special offer on tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.